Storage allotments

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Zsnake, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Zsnake

Zsnake New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Howdy,

I'm still new at this new-fangled techknowledgy, so excuse me if this is a basic question. I'm OLD!

When I went to I-tunes and did something,
    (I don't know what and couldn't duplicate it if I had to) it showed me the usage of my I-pod.
    Here's what it listed.......

Audio......3.23GB I don't disagree...lots of tunes
    Video......949.6MB What do I know?
    Photos.....118.7MB Sounds right
    Apps.......87.7MB
    OTHER......6.51GB WHAT THE HECK IS "OTHER?

free.......3.66GB

Sooooo the crux of the question is should I and how to delete "OTHER".

If that ain't enough to get you thinking, after I downloaded the new operation software, there was a new app on my unit called "Voice memos" that I cannot use since I have no microphone, and I can't get rid of it. No "X" apperas when I hold it and it jiggles.

THANKS very much for any help here!
  2. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Do you have rock installed? Alot of jailbroken stuff?
    the voice memos is a apple default app, only way to get rid of is through ssh
  3. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    "other" tends to be jailbroken data - apps from cydia, saved downloads... anything not placed there by iTunes, essentially.
  4. Zsnake

Zsnake New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    J-Phone...I looked up "Jailbreaking", and am not smart enough to do any of that, so Jailbreaking is not the answer. I don't know what "Rock" is except music from my generation. Thanks for answering...I'll just live with the voice memo icon.

EkriikE, I don't know if I saved any downloads or not...how do I find out? Where would they be? I have downloaded U-tube stuff, but once I delete the inbox letter, don't they just delete along with the message?

Told you I was new to this stuff.

Again, thanks for responding and the help.
    Please continue.
  5. Zsnake

Zsnake New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    BUMP! This is really bugging me!
  6. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    the other can be OS,game saves, notes, and other stuff that dont fit in the other catagories
  7. Zsnake

Zsnake New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks, but I don't HAVE any games (that I know of) and don't know what OS is. I have a few notes...like maybe 30 words. How do I get rid of all that crap?
  8. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    OS is the Operating System, it is like your computer with windows vista, without it it wouldnt work right? Well seems like it might be a bug, restore and set up as a new ipod, that should get rid of the 'Other'
  9. Zsnake

Zsnake New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    J....You are exactly right! I found the following on another site.......

Other is data that iTunes doesn't recognize. A certain amount (a few hundred MBs) is normal. Anything more is the result of an interrupted sync or some other data corruption. Sometimes just syncing one more item will clear this up. Otherwise you need to restore your iPod.

The iPod backup includes information such as mail settings, notes, sound settings, widget settings, certain network settings, and other preferences including settings and data from third-party applications and saved photos. These will be restored from the backup. Your music, videos, and applications as well as your Contacts, Calendars and Photo Albums will be reloaded by iTunes as they were before the restore. This article gives all the details and shows you the screens you will see during the restore: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

For details about the backup file, see this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766 "

It WORKED and now my "other" is a mere 195MB.

Thanks to all who helped me out!

"