Welcome to the iFans Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Stop safari auto refresh??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Oliver Barker, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I've been looking around and can't find a solution. But Its the only problem I have with my iPad. When I open a new tab, then go back to the first page it refreshes, this is extremely annoying since my Internet isn't particually good and it takes ages go reload some graphic intense sites.

Does anybody know how to stop this annoying feature?
  2. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    I hate this too, so annoying, I dont even see the need lol.

I think Opera avoids this so try that, use fullforce to make it better for ipad
  3. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    This is not a feature... It's a limitation.

MobileSafari keeps website cache only in RAM, and therefore, once it runs out of RAM, it'll automatically destroy an entire page, forcing the refresh, disguising itself as an auto-refresh feature. You can only keep at most 3 pages open at any time... Even the iPhone 4 with double the amount of RAM can only keep 5 pages.

You can try a third-party browser that has offline caching, and it'll remedy the situation. Or alternatively, use the swap file mod I posted in the jailbreak forums and it should work, too.

These third-party browsers have offline page caching as far as I know:

iCabMobile (also supports concurrent tab, which means you can browse websites while listening to music on youtube, this is my personal favourite)
    Atomic Web Browser (many useful features, but the interface is a bit strange)
    Mercury (cool browser that looks like a shrunk version of desktop Safari)
  4. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Opera works ^
  5. bstevenhaagen

bstevenhaagen Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Limit the number of tabs open in Safari to 2 or 3. It won't refresh (at least not as often)

...or just download a 3rd party web browser. many are free on the App store.
  6. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Icab mobile is amazing, I have over 5 browsers and I always end up using safari, but this has replaced it hehe
  7. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I know right? It can hold an amazing number of tabs open at any time (I've gone up to 8), and it even has offline caching so you don't have to reload a tab entirely off the net. Tabs even have previews just like Safari, and there is a fullscreen mode alongside a download manager.

It makes me wonder why Apple didn't make Safari like that...