Stolen Ipod Dilema

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dare, Aug 24, 2009.

1. dare

dare Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    About last November I bought a 2g Ipod Touch 32gb from ebay. It was a bargain. While I was at work today the OH had a call from the police to tell me that the Ipod was in fact stolen.
    I have to phone him tomorrow, as he wants me to give a statement.
    Now, he asked if I still have the Ipod. This is my dilemma. Should I just say that I do? He'll want me to give it back, and ebay won't want to give me my money back. Is there any way that Apple can trace it back to me?
    I think I'll probably end up giving it back as I suppose it s the right thing to do, but I hate the fact I'm gonna end up with no Touch and no refund.
    What would you do?
  2. Matt-09

Matt-09 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    First, I would get in touch with eBay and report the seller for starters, he has commited a crime in selling stolen goods, although in effect you are handling.

Then, I would be 100% honest to the Police, lying will get you nowhere. Ask them what will happen to the touch - if you oblidge they might give you something or the guy who had it stolen might not want it anymore, so you might get it back?

As my Nan always says, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

On second thoughts - are we sure this isn't a wind up? How could the Police know it was you with that iPod?
  3. Jamalp

Jamalp New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    what is OH? But i would explain the dilemna to them and see what they can do about it
  4. Matt-09

Matt-09 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Other half/partner/girlfriend/boyfriend etc.
  5. dare

dare Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I remember at the time that the guy was selling a few Ipods.
    I suppose he's been traced to ebay, who then passed on my details to the police.
  6. Matt-09

Matt-09 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just do the right thing mate. You'll sleep easy that way. The guy who stole them deserves what he's gonna get. Was it used when you got it? I'd be livid if someone took my iPod - it's mine!
  7. dare

dare Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Your right of course. The Ipod looked new. But there was no box, charger or headphones. I should have realised then.
  8. Matt-09

Matt-09 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You weren't to know mate. He was hardly going to say it was stolen in the description. Some people either give their accessories away, sell them separately or just lose them.

Don't blame you for not turning it down if it was a bargain.
  9. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Did the police catch the guy ? I'm guessing they did. Then you should have him return your money and give back the iPod. Even if you end up with no iPod, remember, you got it for cheap.
  10. dare

dare Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I guess they caught him, though I'll find out more tomorrow. I doubt I'd have any chance of recovering any money from the seller. While it was a bargain, it's still £155 I won't get back.