stock icons without gloss?

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by Octizzle, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Octizzle

Octizzle Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    not that Crossfire is down i was wondering if anybody knew a way to get app store icon images without the gloss
  2. Happyman7

Happyman7 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    No gloss

The only waoutou could try is to do this is by a simple edit-and-replace change via SSH.

OR

There is a possibility that you could do a transparent white .png file the size of the icon(s), and than make that an icon overlay thingy. I swear I saw a file like that in iFile, I know it said "OVERLAY" (in caps). Although I have never actually tried this.

Try that, and if it works tell me/us how you did it (on this thread of course)

Hope it helps!
    -Happyman7

3. Octizzle

Octizzle Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    i cant find the overlay file

Please Register or Log in to view images

and Crossfire was a website for getting virtually any app icon image in high quality and no gloss
  4. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well App Store apps anyways...they didn't have default apps either, at least not Videos. It was a good source though.

There is the appiconmask or the appiconoverlay, I know you can make them for a theme, but I don't know where the default is. Also you can take them straight from the app folder, because then the overlay won't apply, but then you have to convert them to PC format and I know sometimes they come out with the colors inverted.
  5. Happyman7

Happyman7 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Text

If you plan on doing this on the iPod itself, forget it. As far as I know, there is no good app for .png photo editing like Photoshop or Paint.NET (btw I use Paint.net and it is wonderful!)

Just to clear things up
    So you basically want apps that are "matte"? If no, do you mean icons minus the gloss? I think that would make it look "flat" and boring.

Reccomendation
    From what I know, you should try a matte theme that is similar, if not—like, to the original icons

That whole post is probably severley confusing, but I am to lazy to review it and it is quite late.

6. Kris

Kris New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well, the main reason why i used the crossfire in the past, was because making an app icon overlay was sometimes less attractive, as well as not as consistent, because blending modes and things like that don't translate to .pngs.

i too appreciated versions without gloss, and just plain square canvasses with the app's design on it, so i could copy and paste it onto my base and apply the blending modes. also, it's nicer to have the choice on how far in you zoom, if you want to sharpen the image before applying it, and moving around the icon to see which parts you want to show and part you don't.

im sad that it went down, because i have to resort to the overlay, unless there's a directory elsewhere.
  7. Octizzle

Octizzle Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    i didn't want to use the icons on my springboard with no gloss
    i wanted to use the images to use in PSDs for other themes