Still debating on getting it...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 96Firebird, Dec 28, 2008.

1. 96Firebird

96Firebird New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I know, you've probably seen tons of these threads around the forums, most likely from new members such as myself. But spending over $200 on a piece of glass, plastic and silicon is not easy for someone like me. I've been reading around for a few hours about the differences between the Touch 1G, 2G, and iPhone. I've dismissed the iPhone, as I like Verizon and my Chocolate. So its now between the two versions of the Touch, the 1G and 2G.

Here's the deal - I can get the 16GB 1G from a certain retail store for $220 (new I'm guessing, doesn't say anything about being refurbed). Or I can get the 8GB 2G from anywhere for around $230. Right now I'm leaning more towards the 16GB 1G, and here's why.

-Ability to jailbreak (as of now)
    -Twice the space
    -Slightly cheaper

Now, is there any reason I should go for the 2G? I don't need a speaker, external volume control is not a necessity. I hear it is slightly faster, but enough to really make a difference? Any other major differences I should look at?

Also, I've never liked Apple products. My latest MP3 player is a Cowon iAudio X5 (30GB), it was much cheaper than the video iPods when I purchased it about 4 years ago. I know iTunes can be a nightmare, which is why I would probably use MediaMonkey to upload music to the Touch. I already have my music indexed in the MediaMonkey library, only 35GB of music as I've cut back on what I put on my external HDD. But I'd still need to use iTunes for other stuff, such as adding video files, firmware updates, etc... Correct? Also, I'd have to pay the $10 to update to the latest firmware through Apple, right? No other way around that?

I just don't want to get stuck paying for stuff through iTunes that I could get through other sources. As long as I can upload my music via MediaMonkey, upload my (converted) video files via whatever (most likely iTunes), and get my apps and stuff easily I'll be happy.

Is there anything else I should be concerned about? Any last questions I should be asking? I think I'm going to go tomorrow and get the 16GB 1G, unless anyone wants to talk me out of it...

Oh, and thanks for any help to my various questions. I know it may be annoying to answer, but I don't like wasting my money. I'm a poor college student after all

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Cydia Fan

Cydia Fan New Member

I'm guessing your talking about best buy? It comes without the 2.0 update, so you will have to pay 10$ for that, which makes them the same price, but I would say go with the 1g, 8 gb just isn't anywhere near enough space. Plus you can jailbreak. Yes you would have to use iTunes for everything else, but it isn't really bad at all. It is much easier to sync your music through iTunes.
  3. djc6

djc6 New Member

I'm also thinking about the 16GB 1st gen at best buy. It comes with a $15 iTunes gift card that can be used to pay for the update! That little addition in Best Buy's website today makes it more appealing!
  4. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

I noticed this also. I got some Christmas money and debating between a 16GB 1G from best buy w/ the $15 iTunes card and the 16GB 2G for $80 more. It's a hard gamble.

I'm leaning toward a 1G because of the price, but the 2G's features might, overall, be better.
  5. mieraisamazing

mieraisamazing Banned

the 2g according to what i have heard has a faster processor and is overall a better product... the only good thing about the 1g is the capability to jailbreak and the lower price.. and honestly the 2g is amazing without the jailbreak... i have a bunch of amazing free apps that i love! and it may not have themes but it will soon enough (hopefully lol hoping and hoping and hoping lol) and you can get a cheap 2g if you look hard enough... try craiglist (i went there) and i got a 16gb 2g for 240... it takes time but you can will get an amazing product!
  6. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

Hm, was your iPod Touch from craigslist brand new?