Staying logged into instant messenger

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by jarobata, Oct 22, 2007.

1. jarobata

jarobata New Member

I want to make it so when I want to be I stay logged in to AIM on my touch until I tell it to disconnect. Is there a good way to do this? I've tried out this application called JohnTool which supposedly keeps your wifi connection alive but I'm not sure it's doing what I want it to and also there's no way to tell if it's turned on or off. Does anyone have any suggestions? Keeping Mail checking for Mail would be nice too.
  2. erdrickk

erdrickk New Member

+100000 this would be awesome
  3. Mattyoak

Mattyoak New Member

Apollo IM keeps you logged in while your looking at other apps doesnt it?

Vertify?
  4. dubd0c

dubd0c New Member

If you installed mail properly you should have it in settings. You can tell it to check mail repeatedly over different frequencies. I think it's set to manual to conserve your battery though... New mail is great, but not if you don't know its there and it's draining your battery..

As for aim keeping you logged in, I just use chat, which keeps me online and away as long as I'm on a network. Again I think this is a battery issue. Keeping the wifi going all day is gonna kick the battery quick... The ipodtouch wasn't really designed to be logged in all day... I think the iPhone is more for being connected at all times.

Peace,
    dubdoc
  5. dubd0c

dubd0c New Member

Now that I'm playing around with my iPod out of curiousity, it does appear the wifi goes to sleep with the rest of it when the screen goes off. This logs you out of aim obviously. I guess the way to solve that would be tell the ipod to never sleep.. Again this would drain your battery quick.

As for apollo, I couldn't be bothered with a 4mb chat program when most of the other software for the ipods is well under 1mb. Seemed like it would be a serious drain on the battery and system resources to run. So I decided to just stick with chat from the iphone. It's a lot smaller and I can verify that chat does keep you logged into aim while using other applications on your iPod. I guess it would keep you logged in regardless of whether you were in another app or just listening to music. It will also let you set yourself away. I guess if you are curious, go into setting and tell the iPod not to auto-lock. Log yourself in and see how long the thing will keep the wifi open before your battery craps out. I bet a couple hours tops.

peace,
    dubdoc

Posted from my iPod touch
  6. jarobata

jarobata New Member

I also figured the battery would die pretty quick but I'd like to be able to stay logged in but not have the screen on which I imagine eats a ton of battery on it's own. Hopefully someone will come out with a solution.
  7. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I haven't tested it out yet, but I'd suppose that if you use the new JohnTool that's in the Installer, that Apollo won't log you out automatically; as JohnTool disables power management until Reboot and keeps the WiFi connections alive and strong.
  8. royrov

royrov New Member

i have now tested the JohnTool, and it seems that i stay logged in at Apollo, after the ipod goes to sleep mode..
  9. dubd0c

dubd0c New Member

how long does the battery last after you shut down power management w/ johntool?
  10. jarobata

jarobata New Member

I had a similar experience but I would like a way to know if that feature is enabled/disabled and I'd like a way to turn it off besides resetting the ipod.