Status of MonoTouch, DragonFire SDK and other non-Objective C Iphone Dev tools

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Smashbrosboy, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Smashbrosboy

Smashbrosboy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    http://gizmodo.com/5512847/apple-takes-developers-hostage-in-war-on-adobe

http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/iphone_agreement_bans_flash_compiler

According to the articles, MonoTouch is banned, but it does say that apps created in C/C++ or Objective C are okay. However, DragonFire SDK uses C++.NET basically so is it still acceptable? What does this mean for the other non-Objective C tools out there? Also, what do you guys make of this decision by Apple?

Personally, this is what I think, phrased in the form of C pseudocode for my own amusement

#include "SmashbrosboyOpinion.h"
    #include <stdio.h>

int main()
    {
    if (iphoneapp = "No more alternative tools")
    {
    printf("Come on, is it really necessary to limit us to your own tools? Those of us who do not have Macs or other tools shouldn't be left out...\n");
    }
    else if (iphoneapp = "VC++ is okay\n")
    {
    printf("Hooray, at least those of us who use Windows can still make apps with the DragonFire SDK! Still, apps are apps, you shouldn't stymie the flow of developers trying to develop for the iPhone by making it language exclusive.");
    }
    else
    {
    printf("I dunno what to make of it\n");
    }
    return 0;
    }
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Do people actually use DagonFire SDK to make AppStore apps? If so, that must be a pain, because you need to codesign on a Mac for AppStore submission.
  3. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I think it's good Apple banned other tools.

I wouldn't trust the quality of such apps, specially those made with Adobe's Flash. Have you seen how many resources Flash uses?

Besides, it's easy enough to make apps in Objective C (that's why there are so many crappy apps), and if you use a language and can't learn to use another one, maybe you shouldn't call yourself a developer. Not a good one, anyway.

I think you can submit through them.
  4. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    err well...or simtetimes it is just the time which matters..
    the time that it takes to learn a new language (beside your everyday work with the old well-known language)

anyway I'm now in to learn objective-c shifting over from .NET/Mono framework and in the first days objective programming seems very confusing for me =D
  5. Smashbrosboy

Smashbrosboy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

The language isn't the main problem, it's the fact that you can't compile unless you are using a mac. DragonFire SDK lets you code in C++ and have them submit it after compiling it themselves in Obj-C. The only reason I use this is because I don't have the resources to buy a mac at the moment and I still want to develop apps. It would be horrible if this were banned too.
  6. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    To me, the only reason one should be opposed to developing for the iPhone (save for the approval process, which to Apple's credit has improved greatly but still is a bit of a hindrance) is the fact that you need a Mac. The financial cost deters indie developers, but the requirement itself leaves a lot to be desired, especially considering you CANNOT use other tools for linux or windows.

The fact that prospective devs need to learn Obj-C and get familiar with Foundation and Cocoa Touch is NOT a legitimate complaint against the platform. First of all, anyone who is half-experienced can pick up a new language RELATIVELY quickly, and Apple provides exhaustive programming guides at no cost.
  7. Smashbrosboy

Smashbrosboy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You can pick up a language quickly but to really get to know it, it takes a while. This is just nitpicking though, the only real problem I have is the requirement of having a mac, as you spoke of.
  8. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Flash uses many resources to embed itself and run. However, the output file will NOT be flash but an iPhone .app file. The quality wouldn't drastically change. The thing that determines how many resources an application / item will use depends on how well it is coded.

It's not that the language is the problem, entirely. Some people would like to use a different language to create things. ALL languages have their ups and downs. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Deciding on a language as a developer can actually help the program work more efficiently. However, if language choice is taken away, then developers will have to live with the strengths and weaknesses of that language.

I actually disagree with Apple's move on the matter. Just because they are mad at Adobe doesn't mean that Apple should be destroying the developer's choice of language.
  9. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    The fact that Flash uses so many resources says a lot about the way Adobe does things.

I know this mac only thing can be a little annoying, but you can get a cheap used mac, make some apps and earn money, and then buy a better one if you want.

I did that. Took me like 3 months, and I could have bought a really high end mac with the money I made.
  10. johnmabassa

johnmabassa Member

I am also in the same place as you are. I dont have the money to buy one MAC so I am using dragonfire to develop something.

Talking about Objective C, I find it as a really cool language, frankly speaking I now know it better than C++

Please Register or Log in to view images

. I really tried to participate in some games & lotteries which give MAC as the prize but havent got any

Please Register or Log in to view images

. Now I have started on Android also but not that interesting as iPhone, lots of code needs to be written.

-John