Static IP

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by psychofish25, Mar 18, 2008.

1. psychofish25

psychofish25 New Member

Nov 20, 2007
    How do I set a static IP on my ipod? I want it so every time it connects to my home network it has
  2. MegaMan

MegaMan New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    you can turn off dhcp on your router but my ipod seems to get the same ip everytime it connects
  3. [AFX]

[AFX] Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2007

a) you set static DHCP in your router so it leases your iPod the same IP address over and over again no matter what (think of this as a reservation as well). this works by supplying your iPods' MAC address and specifying an IP address within your DHCP range to assign the iPod. that way, on your iPod, you can set the wireless to obtain the IP address automatically and you will get that same IP address anytime you connect to the access point. this is a better way to go if you want to grab the same IP and still being able to connect to other networks seeminglessly without making any changes (whereas if you statically assigned the iPod an address from a previous network, you will have to remove those settings if necessary).

b) you can statically assign an IP address in the Static tab for the network in question. i would find out the routers' DHCP range so you dont assign your iPod an IP address that is more likley to be used from another computer. in this case, i would select the last IP address in the DHCP range, or lower. this also avoids any IP address confliction within your private network (again, assuming you assigned the iPod an IP address no other device/computer would ever grab randomly). computers and other devices tend to grab the next available IP address from the DHCP pool when requested, which in most cases starts from the beginning of the DHCP range ( for example).

by using the "b" method, the downside is that the IP address you assigned your iPod will only work for that network, or any network that hands out the same IP address from the DHCP pool as the network you had configured this for. hope that helps.