iOS 3.1 State of the 3.1(.1) Jailbreak and Unlock

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by iMaztrr, Oct 4, 2009.

1. iMaztrr

iMaztrr Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    State of the 3.1.x Jailbreak and Unlock

I am not done updating. I would be very appreciative if one of the mods could change the title of this thread to: State of the 3.1.x Jailbreak & Unlock
    To start with, Mods, if you find anything wrong this thread I would appreciate if you could tell me and have me fix it rather than lock the thread. Also, I love constructive criticism so feel free to tell me anything that could make this thread better. I also plan on updating this thread as often as I can.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

3.1.2: since the status of this is the same I will not be posting this into the different sections. 3.1.2 canNOT be jailbroken as of yet. However, Geohot says that his blackra1n jailbreak will work on 3.1.2. Also the current baseband software cannot be unlocked either so iPhone 3G and iPhone 3Gs users, STAY AWAY FROM 3.1.2 until Pwnage tool is updated to update to 3.1.2 and preserve your baseband.

I have noticed a lot of people asking "C4n 1 H4z J41|br34k P10x" or complaining "Noooo. I have windows, I can't Jailbreak." I am going to try to clear all of that up with this thread.

I am going to start with which devices can be jailbroken/unlocked.

iPod Touches

iPod Touch First Generation (original)
    State: Jailbroken with Pwnage Tool and blackra1n.

How To Jailbreak:
    • Pwnage Tool (Mac only): make a custom IPSW and restore to it.
    • Blackra1n(Windows only): Make sure you are on firmware 3.1.2. Then run Blackra1n and click make it ra1n. when your iPod reboots you should have the Blackra1n icon on your screen. select the programs you want to install and your done.
    iPod Touch Second Generation (2G)
    State:
    • With 3.1(.1) pre-installed(newer model) - Jailbroken with Blackra1n.
    • Without 3.1(.1) pre-installed(older model) - Jailbroken with Pwnage Tool and Blackra1n.

How To Jailbreak (older model only):
    • Pwnage Tool:
    1. Make sure you are on a jailbroken 3.0 or 3.0.1 software. If you are not, downgrade and jailbreak with redsn0w
    2. Use Pwnage Tool to create your custom firmware.
    3. Put your ipod into recovery mode (to do this, turn off iPod and hold home button with plugging in the iPod).
    4. Hold option (or shift for windows users) and click restore. Select your custom firmware and restore to it.
      • Blackra1n:
        1. Make sure you are on firmware 3.1.2.
        2. Then run Blackra1n and click make it ra1n.
        3. When your iPod reboots you should have the Blackra1n icon on your screen.
        4. Select the programs you want to install and your done.

iPod Touch Third Generation (3G)
    State: Not Jailbroken.

iPhones Note: their are 2 types of iPhones
    • Factory Unlocked: You will always be able to use any SIM.
    • Carrier Locked: You will need a software unlock.

iPhone 2G (Original)
    State: Jailbroken and Unlocked with Pwnage Tool.

How To Jailbreak: Make custom firmware and restore to it.

How To Unlock: Automatically unlocked by Pwnage Tool.

iPhone 3G (Second Generation)Note: if at any point you restored to the official 3.1(.1) firmware and your iPhone is not factory unlocked, your baseband was upgraded and you canNOT unlock until a new exploit is found.
    State: Jailbroken and Unlocked

How To Jailbreak (older model only):
    1. Make sure you are on a jailbroken 3.0 or 3.0.1 software. If you are not, downgrade and jailbreak with redsn0w
    2. Use Pwnage Tool to create your custom firmware (if you depend on a software unlock, make sure that you choose to preserve your baseband).
    3. Put your iPhone into recovery mode (to do this, turn off iPhone and hold home button with plugging in the iPhone).
    4. Hold option (or shift for windows users) and click restore. Select your custom firmware and restore to it.

How To Unlock Note: This only applies if you preserved your baseband.:
    1. Make sure you are on a jailbroken 3.1(.1) firmware.
    2. Go into Cydia and add the following repository if it is not already added: http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com
    3. Install Ultrasn0w.

iPhone 3Gs (Third Generation) Note: Just like with the iPhone 3G, if at any point you restored to the official 3.1(.1) firmware and your iPhone is not factory unlocked, your baseband was upgraded and you canNOT unlock until a new exploit is found.
    State:
    • Shipped with 3.1(.1) or upgraded to 3.1(.1) without saving iBSS and ECID: Not Jailbroken
    • On 3.0(.1) firmware or on 3.1(.1) with your iBSS and ECID saved: Jailbroken
    How To Jailbreak:
    1. Make sure you are on a jailbroken 3.0(.1) firmware. If you are one of the lucky 50,000 some-odd people who saved their ECID, Downgrade with this guide. Then jailbreak with redsn0w
    2. Use Pwnage Tool to create your custom firmware (if you depend on a software unlock, make sure that you choose to preserve your baseband).
    3. Put your iPhone into recovery mode (to do this, turn off iPhone and hold home button with plugging in the iPhone).

How To Unlock: How To Unlock Note: This only applies if you preserved your baseband.:
    1. Make sure you are on a jailbroken 3.1(.1) firmware.
    2. Go into Cydia and add the following repository if it is not already added: http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com
    3. Install Ultrasn0w.

Windows or Mac: It doesn't really matter if you are running Windows or Mac because Pwnage Tool just creates the firmware and doesn't jailbreak. If you are on a Mac you can download the tool and make your own firmware. If you are on Windows you can still jailbreak, but you will have to either have a friend with a Mac make your firmware or download one online (Google is your friend) or if you really don't know how to use google you can use this link.

Jailbreaking Tools In Progress:
    • Redsn0w - made by the iPhone Dev Team, supports firmware 3.0(.1) and will be updated to support 3.1(.1). No ETA.
    • Greenpois0n - made by the Chronic Dev Team will be for all devices running 3.1(.1) and is going to be a fast, under a minute jailbreak. NO ETA.
    • Sn0wbreeze - made by iH8sn0w. Will be an in depth jailbreaking tool like Pwnage Tool except for Windows. ETA: Tuesday the 12th. EDIT: Has been delayed. Lite version said to be released on the 12th.
    • Balckra1n - made be Geohot. May or may not be updated for 3.1(.1) NO ETA.
    • [PIRACY]ha1l - made by [PIRACY]ha1l. I have never heard of them doing anything at all on the iPhone. They claim a 3.1.x jailbreak like the others. Claimed ETA: Sunday the 10th

Other useful links:
  2. Tumeke

Tumeke New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Nice post mate, clears alot of things up
  3. Mosaic

Mosaic Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well done.

Very well done.
  4. canesfan

canesfan Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    good post
  5. ocr123

ocr123 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Well written!
  6. KalleKanin

KalleKanin New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Two things I haven't quite understood:

1. So I need to just download the new firmware through iTunes without upgrading the device itself in the same process?

2. When restoring from the custom firmware, do I need to set it up as a new iPod or can I have iTunes copy my settings back, such as eMail account and whatnot?

I'm currently on jailbroken 3.0 on a 1G iPod Touch and after the last upgrade I lost the ability to play YouTube videos, apparently because I didn't set it up as a new device. Maybe. Would like to avoid this the next time around.

Thanks!
  7. iMaztrr

iMaztrr Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    1. Yes. then you will have the regular firmware. this is what you will modify with Pwnage Tool. Do NOT upgrade to stock 3.1(.1).

2. I am pretty sure that you can use your backup. YOu only have to set up as a new device when a major firmware update comes along (A.K.A. 1.x.x > 2.x.x, or 2.x.x > 3.x.x)
  8. f1driver

f1driver New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nice and clear, Thank you.
  9. Duykur

Duykur Banned

Good thread, could use better formatting.
  10. KalleKanin

KalleKanin New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OK, I think I'll give it a go then. Thanks for the help!
    Although as my YouTube don't currently work there is always the chance that this fault will be carried over by the upgrade. We'll see.