starting into development

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by computerwiz_222, Jan 7, 2008.

1. computerwiz_222

computerwiz_222 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I am very new at developing apps (Hello world new....) is it possible to jump right into objective-C or shoudl I learn C first.

Any help and beginning websites are appreciated...
  2. galen

galen New Member

Well, Objective-C is just an object oriented layer built on top of C. So in order to use it, you do need to know how to use C first. Thats not a problem though as C is really simple to learn and use. Plus there are a ton of "learn C in a day/week/month" books out there that can be found for pretty cheap. You can even find a few websites that feature lots of tutorials and lessons for free. When you think you have a basic grasp on writing simple comand line programs, go to developer.apple.com and look up their docs on Objective-C. It should be notied that since OSX is a Unix flavor, any books you find about developing on it will most likely work on Mac too. I find Objective-C to be much more friendly then C++ but it is quite different from the rest of the object oriented languages. This is because it takes its object model from SmallTalk. SmallTake is a really great language conceptually but never really caught on I think because it's syntax can seem kind of obscure and strange. Once you get the hang of it though its really simple. To me I find that it presents the ideas of object oriented programing in a much simpler way then C++. I think that there are a lot of really overtly complex issues with C++ which simply don't exsist in Objective-C. That could just be me though.

Please Register or Log in to view images

At any rate, pick up a simple book on C and in a week or so you'll be ready for Objective-C.
  3. computerwiz_222

Device:
    iPod touch
    awesome thank's so much...

I've been looking for a straight up answer to this question for a while!
  4. stabbyjoe12

stabbyjoe12 Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    lol
    wont be much help but
    i agree with^^
    its reli the best way to learn

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. computerwiz_222

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks so much!

I can program ruby somewhat, is the syntax similar to that of C?
  6. TSOnTheDrums8892

TSOnTheDrums8892 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This stuff (sounds) so damn confusing....

I wish i knew how to do it...
  7. damhack

damhack New Member

Once you have learned about C pointers, assignment, structs and classes, forget everything you have learned because Objective-C is a very different beast. Even syntax is different.

Then head over to http://www.cocoadevcentral.com to learn how it really works. Then cross-train from Mac Cocoa to iPhone Cocoa. Most iPhone Cocoa classes behave just like the Mac classes. This will really help you get started.

If you are really serious, get the iPhone toolchain installed (preferably on a Mac). Search my other posts for more details.

Another easy way to get started and to learn as you code, is to use Jiggy. Jiggy provides Javascript wrappers for iPhone Cocoa classes, a runtime engine for your Javascripted apps and a builtin IDE that lets you code direct to your iTouch from a browser. Just go to http://www.jiggyapp.com for more info.

Cheers,

Dam