Start app on load/respring

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by meyerovb, Feb 8, 2009.

1. meyerovb

meyerovb New Member

Is it possible (currently or through a new app) to automatically run an app upon startup? What about upon respring?
  2. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Make a launchdaemon?
  3. meyerovb

meyerovb New Member

My C is nowhere near where it needs to be to write an app to do/control this. If anyones up for it, how about an app where you can pick apps (like in poof) and those apps will auto-launch when springboard starts. It can tie into backgrounder perhaps, so that they'll start hidden.

Is there a seperate forum where I should be posting app requests? After a sleepless weekend I've come to the realization that trying to write anything like this myself would be a very big mistake!
  4. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

It'd have to be a MobileSubstrate plugin. There's a tutorial on how to do a SpringBoard class dump and to try it on the Simulator.
  5. meyerovb

meyerovb New Member

I tried this tutorial:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103558

I was able to class dump SpringBoard, add the headers and do everything that was needed. Not only could I not get it to compile, but I've realized with my skillset (.NET programmer, very little experience in C), it would take me an extreme amount of time to get an app that would do something like this, and that it would leak memory like a sieve.

If there's another tutorial for simpletons like myself, I'd be happy to take a look. Also, what simulator are you talking about?

In the meantime, where can I post to request one of the c gods to build an app like this?
  6. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

this is VERY possible.

just make a command line program and set it as a launch daemon. make it so that launches another app of your choice.

(some specific signing needs to be done with ldid for this.)
  7. meyerovb

meyerovb New Member

Perhaps an app request from someone with more experience who could whip this out in a day to a repo for everyone to have (and for everyone to trust it's quality) would be more advantageous.

I'm not being lazy here, I'd love to try to do it myself (as I said, I tried that tutorial in my last post without much success). But I'm a good enough programmer to know when I'm not a good enough programmer. I have basically no c experience ('specific signing with ldid' means nothing to me), and anything I write without the experience of you gurus would be clunky and useless.