Starmap vs Star Walk

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by dyeung, Nov 10, 2008.

1. dyeung

dyeung New Member

Hey,

So i just noticed that there's this new astronomy app in the appstore called star walk. This app looks very similar to starmap, even the logo is almost the same. Starmap is $15AU whereas the new app Star Walk is $6AU.

Can someone who has tried both post and tell me the difference

I really want to get an astronomy app on my ipod touch. Getting tedious running to my PC every 10 minutes to use stellarium when im using my telescope outside

Thanks
  2. MuradN

MuradN New Member

Certainly Star Walk!!!

In my opinion, Star Walk is the best astro application in App Store.
    I've tried Starmap, Distant Suns and GoSkyWatch
  3. Schklowski

Schklowski New Member

I have my iPhone mainly for cool astronomic applications. So I tried starmap and distant suns so far. After that I came to star walk and it reall struck me. I don't know if I would go further with them, but this application deserves a closer look. All heavenly bodies are colourfully animated and look like a cartoon of a cosmic scale. The set of features don't really change. Scientific information is dosated, but feels neatly and accuartly selected. If you want to freshen up some basic information, it's just cool. What I like the most is working with the time. Say, you wanna see what it will be like to watch the next solar eclipse, you can easily make a model of it, see what it feels like in real (or not so real, you choose) time, and dart here or there on the map with no problems at all.
  4. dyeung

dyeung New Member

lol i forgot about this dilemma i had 2 weeks ago. Anyway your post reminded me so i looked at some star walk videos on youtube and then downloaded it straight after. I must say this is an awesome app. I really wanted to be able to ffw time like in stellarium and star walk does it perfectly. Anyway whose an amateur astronomer should buy this app.
  5. sammy14175

sammy14175 New Member

tried both. star map is rich in tech details. much info about objects etc. star walk is less informative but definitely beautiful.
  6. sammy14175

sammy14175 New Member

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Do astronomy apps work as well on iPod Touch (Accelerometer as opposed to GPS?)

Just wondering how the iTouch's lack of GPS impacts on the function of astronomy apps in general - do they work as well? Adequately? I really want some good astronomy apps, it'll be a major reason for buying an iTouch or iPhone, but I want to be sure they work on an iTouch before forking out! - Thanks.
  8. varZ

varZ New Member

Star Walk is definitelly one of the most beautiful apps, especially HD version.
    Though Starmap shows more specific information and is great for amateur astonomers/students.
  9. Heavy Glass

Heavy Glass New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    the only astronomy app I have is Skyview, and I like it

Please Register or Log in to view images