Review Star Defense

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Abcmsaj, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus

Please Register or Log in to view images

Meet your new addiction.

ngmoco have outdone themselves yet again - this time in a whole new galaxy. Some of you may know ngmoco from Rolando, some may remember their first free apps, Maze Finger and Topple 1. Dedicated to bringing top quality games to the iPhone platform, ngmoco have been working on this baby for a while now! Star Defense is a tower defense game based in space. Your goal, as in all tower defense games, is to stop an alien infestation from reaching a designated goal - and to do this, you must slow them down, burn them, laser them and shoot them down with bullets.​

You buy the game with 7 planets in 1 galaxy. To progress through the game, you must defeat the alien forces attacking each planet systematically, and doing this will unlock planets and towers later on in the game. Level one has 20 waves, level two has 40, and so on - Each planet increases in difficulty.​

As for how the planets LOOK - Take a look for yourself. Top quality 3D rendered planets with amazing backgrounds and scenery. You can pinch to zoom, navigate the planet with one finger and double tap to zoom all the way in, or all the way out; the controls are completely natural and if you've owned an iPod or iPhone for more than a month, you'll pick them up extremely fast.

You can see, (this is level one) that you're able to play around with 3 towers (slow-down, fire and bullets) and you have 20 waves. The box in the lower right of the screen denotes the next onslaught from the baddies, and you can control when they come (i.e. you can tap that box and the alien flood will come down from their ship. But if you leave it, the timer will count down for you)​

As you kill the aliens, you earn $$ - And $$££€€ means better towers. You can easily upgrade a tower by tapping it once to select, and then again to bring up that menu. ^

From there, you can sell and upgrade. Your choice. For a bit of help, the game will flash certain towers with an upwards arrow, to show you that you have enough money to upgrade this.​

Other features the game includes, is a Challenge Mode. Basically, kill as many waves as you can. Then you can connect to Twitter and Facebook and tweet it/change your status to show how well you did. This is actually the first app I've seen that uses Facebook Connect to update statuses! Normally, the FB Connect will just put a little 1-line notification on your home page, and your friends have to look at your wall to see... (e.g. TTR2)​

The ability to add Twitter to your game is natural too. Just tap settings and then tap the Twitter logo, and input your info. Same goes for Facebook, and you can also log out of both if you're sick of showing off to your mates. (Which you won't be...)​

And finally, (or penultimately, rather) to extend gameplay further - Achievements! Commendations are awarded to you for doing specific things within gameplay. You can see from my game I've done.. 3 things so far - Quite easy to do. Later on though, the further Commendations are much harder: gives you something to aim for!

Also if you watched this at WWDC 09, you'd know that it has the ability to harness future In-App Purchases in 3.0 - Which means you'll be able to buy whole new galaxies, new towers, and more for reasonable prices - To extend the gameplay EVEN further.​

"BAM - A whole new galaxy right in your pocket."

Overall, I'm please to say that this app was well worth the money and the _space_ on my springboard, and has an _intergalatic_ future ahead of it! The future 3.0 in-app purchases mean you get the best of both _worlds_ and the price won't cost the _earth_...

Okay I'm done.​

Get your copy here: http://itunes.com/app/StarDefense

Attached Files:

2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  3. TmacHot

TmacHot Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The achievements look good ! With more updates this game can last long

Nice review
  4. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I think your reviews are my favorite out of the MR team so far. Game is pretty good as well.
  5. pac12321

pac12321 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    awsome! sounds like a great app! i wasnt gunna get it, but now i think i will!
  6. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Great review! Liking the scoring graphic.