Stanza: Kindle as an iTouch app?

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by espeorb, Feb 2, 2009.

1. espeorb

espeorb New Member

Stanza is one awesome app. With tons a free and purchasable (usually very cheap) books available, and the ability to add more catalogue sources, I never run out of books. The only problem I have versus having a kindle (well, two problems) is that the screen is smaller from what I've seen, and the iTouch automatically goes into hibernation before I'm done reading a single page. This is likely because I'm a slow reader.

So, any one here actually have a kindle? If so, mind comparing the differences between reading books on your iTouch versus reading 'em on a kindle?
  2. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    You can turn off Auto-Lock in Settings>General>Auto-Lock. Then you don't have to worry about the screen turning off before you're done with a page.
  3. deadfire55

deadfire55 Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Don't have the app but you can stop the iPod Touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

from going into 'hybernation' by going to Settings, General, Auto-lock, and setting it to Never.

EDIT:OMG awal, you beat me to it!!!
  4. espeorb

espeorb New Member

SQUEE! Well that's one disadvantage down. I guess you can compensate for the screen size with the multitouch function (zooming in and out).

Edit: Replies on this forum are fast.
  5. 1adam1

1adam1 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    kindle is easier on the eyes, too
    it has better battery life

i wouldnt buy one just yet, i hear there is a new version coming out soon...
  6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hibernation
  7. espeorb

espeorb New Member

I lol'd. Also, what's with everybody telling me to call it an iPod Touch? I know it's called that. I just find iTouch easier to type.

Back on topic: how expensive is a kindle anyway? If it's more than the iTouch then, even with the disadvantages of reading on a smaller screen, there's no way I'm getting one.
  8. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    $359.00 on Amazon.
  9. espeorb

espeorb New Member

Wow. Though it has a far larger screen, better battery life and a huge selection of books (all of Amazon), I'd rather Stanza any day at that price (though, I'm not taking into consideration that you can get a whole 32G 2nd Gen iTouch on amazon for around the same price).
  10. berky93

berky93 New Member

I prefer ipod touch though - kindle is made specifically for reading, so its good for that, but can it fit in a pocket of your jeans? NO! its as big as a regular book, so its less convenient than the ipod touch. plus, it cannot possibly have as many features.

personally, although the screen size is small, I've never had a problem reading text on the ipod touch and I've never had headaches or anything from the screen.