Standby or Power Off?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kargo, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Kargo

Kargo Member

Device:
    iPad
    Hi Guys, Ive had my iPod Touch for almost 2 weeks and im still unsure whats the correct way to turn the ipod off. Should I tap the power button once (standby) or hold it down and wait to slide for power off.

Ive done both before and havent really noticed difference except when sliding to power off, the battery decreases a lot more when the device reboots.

How does everyone else turn off their iPod? and is it bad to have it in standby mode for a long period of time?
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    I usually just put it to sleep by hitting the power button once.
  3. coolcosmos

coolcosmos New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Stanby, Power off take much more battery.
  4. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Generally, during the day I put it into standby, and at night I completely turn it off. Continuously turning it on and off will waste battery, so standby is sufficent there. The main reason I turn it off at night is that the iPod, just like a computer, needs to be restarted every once in a while to keep it at peak efficiency. Rather than waiting for it to crash, I just shut it down every night.
  5. Jonno92

Jonno92 New Member

Great suggestion. I didn't know powering off wastes more battery than putting to sleep.. Thanks alot for that suggestion.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. coffeewithchess

coffeewithchess New Member

I'm really glad for this forum and I'm especially glad for the "Search" feature of the forum! I was actually thinking about this tonight, I've had my Ipod Touch 2g for about a week and a half, and I've only used "Standby". I haven't had any issues with it or anything, but I'll probably turn it off tonight and let it fully "rest".
  7. Guegs

Guegs Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have yet to turn my iPod off since i purchased it. Instead of turning it off at night, I plug it into the wall charger, keeps my battery charged and is good for the battery!

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. iAsian

iAsian New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I just put it on standby like what the other 384943789237489 people said.
  9. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Standby during the day; charge by night, after what reading what dansl said though I figure I'll start turning my iPod off a bit more often though.
  10. wootmeister

wootmeister New Member

Work those batteries

Not absolutely sure on iPod batteries, but I know my laptop and phone batteries both last longer if I work them and don't keep them on charge too much.
    I read a forum post a couple of years ago, regarding a real estate company that bought a bunch of laptops and found that the batteries in the ones that stayed in the office all the time, plugged in to the wall, died a lot quicker than the ones that were taken out into the field regularly, and put to work. Since then I've always worked my batteries, periodically running them down to fairly flat on occasion. It seems to work, that my batteries keep a deeper charge longer than other people's who charge them continuously.
    Anyway, to answer the question directly, I just tap once on my ipod usually, even at night, then very occasionally actually truly turn it off. Had no problems so far.