Stacks v3

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by CocaCola, Nov 23, 2009.

1. CocaCola

CocaCola New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Discuss. ​

My comments:
    Picture stacks 2.1, and think of all those things that are wrong with it, or it doesn't do. Now fix those mistakes, and add those features, and you have stacks version 3.
    - You don't have to use blanks when you put it on the dock (like in v2)
    - You can have multiple, move-able, rename-able stacks.
    - I never figured out just how to add apps to v2, but with v3, it's just click and drag.
    - The obvious bugs are gone. Doesn't conflict with 3.1.2 or any of my 50 billion tweaks, themes, and plug-ins.
    - After the initial install, you never have to respring to change something (as far as I know)
    - It's completely sound. It operates without lag and has no problem launching apps.
    - You can scroll down on the stacks after they are pulled up.

It's still in alpha right now, which is programmer for "If it doesn't work, not my problem"
    But woah, I was blown away by how much more complete it was in those .9 leaps =P
    You can download it off of high caffeine content, the developer's website. It IS a .deb file, so not completely plug-n-play.

Misc:
    - You can't seem to delete the stacks you don't use. You can use the "Poof!" app (found on cydia and sb settings) to get rid of them. BUT poof! won't recognize the names you changed for the stacks. So some trial-and-error is needed to poof! the correct stack(s).
    - Even though they are in stacks, they remain on the springboard. I'm putting all my games and apps into two stacks folders, and then putting them into matching catagories folders.
    - There is a bit of a lag when you place apps into a stack, but I've been using it as a sort of timer, so I can tell that it was put into the stack correctly.
    - Been playing with this for 15 mins now, I still have a large amount of ram left. Doesn't seem to take any ram.
    - You can't seem to be able to move the apps in a stack around at this point.
    - You have to remove v2 if you have it.
    - It enjoys copying any apps you move past it. If you try to move something around, steer it away from the stack.

(I will be editing this thread as I learn new things about stacks v3)
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

To delete a stack, SSH into /Applications then manually delete it. And yea, I just use Poof to hide the apps I put into my stacks.
  3. lunaticoyacontrola1

lunaticoyacontrola1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Hey, I Have The .DEB File Of Stacks V3 But Where In The Itouch Files Does It Go ?
  4. prauny

prauny Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    If you have iFile on your iPod you can place the DEB file into downloads and install it using iFile.
  5. CocaCola

CocaCola New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1.) Enable SSH on iPod, and disable autolock. Open up WinSCP on your computer
    2.) Navigate to /private/var/temp
    3.) Put the .deb file there.
    4.) Press Ctrl + T and enter the command below
    dpkg -i /tmp/stack3a.deb
    5.) Respring. If that doesn't work, reboot.

And that will install stacks =)

Oh, reminder, if you didn't change your password to root, you should do so now. If not, all hackers need is your IP address to install viruses. It's especially bad for iphones, but it can affect any iPod Touch with an internet connection.
  6. xX_Dog_Food_Xx

xX_Dog_Food_Xx New Member

Device:
    iPad
    you do need to respring after you rename stacks though.
  7. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Any idea when this will be free? Or will it always cost money?
  8. xX_Dog_Food_Xx

xX_Dog_Food_Xx New Member

Device:
    iPad
    i think that the beta right now is free, but when it is out of beta it will probably cost money...
    i don't know if they already released it, because i still have a beta.
  9. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I thought you had to donate? And it's still in alpha, correct?
  10. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Nope, there's not need to donate. I think that's how it used to be, but maybe the system is down or something and now you can enter any email and get it.