Stacks out of Development

Discussion in 'Latest Tech News and Rumors' started by BigDaveyJ, Feb 21, 2009.

1. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It seems Steven-Troughton-Smith has stopped development on his Mobile Substrate Hack: Stacks.

According to his blog:
    "I have to work extra hard as it is on creating things for the App Store, but when people like paniK go ahead and make my software available to pirates and I watch sales vanish overnight, it means I have to spend much more time on marketing and development for my App Store apps to try and offset my losses, leaving no time for projects like Stack that earn me nothing."

So download it ASAP as it IS BEING TAKEN OFF CYDIA SOON.

Link: http://blog.steventroughtonsmith.com/2009/02/stack-discontinued.html
  2. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Seriously, guys, download it off of Cydia now. Otherwise it will be gone. The only real way to get it back is to improve the sales of his applications, specifically Lights Off. He's also not accepting donations. I tried.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. keved

keved New Member

Just downloaded it!
    I tried it once before, and I couldn't really figure it out...

EDIT:
    I just realized something.
    It wasn't that I couldn't figure it out, but it would always go into "Sad iPhone"
    Anyone know a solution?
  4. jailbreak123

jailbreak123 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What does stacks do?

Why dosent he just leave it on cydia on not update?
  5. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Sad iPhone? Safe Mode?

He's not leaving it on Cydia to make a point. Personally, he's a great developer, and making something like Stack is incredible. However, I suspect he's doing this for publicity and more profits. He's going to get more publicity for his applications because of things like this, and thus more profits, as people are now motivated to buy his application. Either that, or he's run into a snag with Stack and wants to cover it up in some way while also letting his gain more sales.
  6. jailbreak123

jailbreak123 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So basically its just like catergories but you can only have a few icons?
  7. iamkewl

iamkewl Banned

Stacks never worked for me..

I could never move it around, it was just stuck in the middle
  8. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I don't really care about stacks. I never really used it. And also, if I really needed it and this guy who is taking it off Cydia is saying that pirates have it then it would be easy to procure a copy (not that I would because I don't use it). Furthermore, iPhone software is inevitable to be hacked if it is good. I can sympathize because if I had a good App I would feel bad if it was pirated, but it is a big risk. The most iPhone devs can do is not make the application at all.
  9. mieraisamazing

mieraisamazing Banned

same here. so im fine with this. my ipod is still cool
  10. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

You clearly never opened up settings and configured Stack. That's your fault, not Stack's.

You misunderstand. Stack wasn't pirated, it has always been free. His point is that he now has to devote substantially more time to his AppStore apps just to make money because of the pirates virtually eliminating his income stream overnight. He has no time to work on Stack.

You forget that some people are actually trying to make money, and that people who crack apps severely hurt the developer. People are making many apps, not companies.