SSH with 2.2?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by rickmoss505, Dec 26, 2008.

1. rickmoss505

rickmoss505 New Member

I have a first gen iPod touch thats currently version 1.4. I have upgraded to 2.2 but downgraded when I thought that 2.2 was terrible. One thing I really like about 1.4 is that I can SSH it to a computer using a program called WINSCP(I know there are others but I liked this one the best). When I upgraded to 2.2, the computer wouldn't recognize my iPod, making me unable to move files onto the iPod(txt. files and so on). Why would it not recognize it? Am I doing something wrong or can you not SSH with 2.2?
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You gave up:

• The App Store
    • Access to 10,000+ Apps
    • Better battery life
    • Way ton more features

For SSH? That technically is still possible since there is a 2.2 Jailbreak.
  3. itouchnathan

itouchnathan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    SSH is possible on 2.2...you just have to be patient.
    You try connecting three times, if it doesn't work after the third, reboot your iPod, try again and it will work.
    Some people are so impatient.
  4. nelson480

nelson480 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    mine absolutly didnt work at all i had to get iphone tunnel suite which sshs by usb and uses win scp
  5. matzel

matzel New Member

In most cases the problem sits in front of the screen ;>
    I used to have minor problems while connecting via SSH, a reboot was seldomly required.
  6. skpx

skpx New Member

first time i tried to connect to SSH with the 2.2 jail broke firmware I used the connection timed out but after i pinged it and set the ipod to use a static ip worked fine but it took about ~2 minutes to gen the RSA keys but it worked fine after that
  7. rickmoss505

rickmoss505 New Member

What is the prerequisite for SSH? That it must be jailbroken? What is it about jailbreaking that makes it able to be accessed like that?
    And I'm not really impatient. It's just that when you've had all the emulators and everything working perfectly and it's suddenly broken by the upgrade you get kinda frustrated...
  8. skpx

skpx New Member

it must be jail-broken to allow you to have access to the rest of the system. if it wasn't you wouldn't be able to access or modify anything outside of your current 'jailed environment' unless you had root priv's. i.e wouldn't be able to install OpenSSH or anything that runs as a daemon that needs read, write or execute privileges to certain directories and files that are owned by the superuser (root).

Just search Google or wikipedia for BSD jailed user or chroot environments if you want to know more details on what it actually is.

if you check on rip-dev's site he explains alot better than I do and its about what it actually does on the iPhone.

~> ripdev.org/2008/11/pusher-22-jailbreak.html
  9. rickmoss505

rickmoss505 New Member

All right. I've tried over and over. I've restarted it multiple times and WinSCP still will not recognize it. It almost authenticated it once(not really sure what that means) but it will not connect. Mainly what I want is .txt and .html files to read on BookReader. Are there any other free programs like WinSCP that are graphically-based(no command-line)? Or do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
  10. skpx

skpx New Member

try going into Settings -> Wi-Fi and click the little blue arrow on the network you are connected to. after that instead of DHCP choose Static, make sure you have the right IP addy and everything.

then go back to settings and go to General -> Auto-Lock and select never.

in WinSCP: enable it to log the session

Please Register or Log in to view images

the output of a successful connection:

Please Register or Log in to view images

i dunno if you have that set already or not but then try to connect. If it still doesnt connect try to ping the address of the ipod to see if it is reachable from your computer i dunno and also check firewall settings, etc if you run any kind of security software that my prevent you to connect out

you might also try downloading the 'Toggle SSH' in cydia app so you can enable/disable the sshd at will