SSH vs BossTool

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by onto808, Mar 22, 2010.

1. onto808

onto808 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Any feedback on whether it's better to use ssh in order to move the /Applications directory to the Media partition/Disk 02(and creating a symlink in the root directory) allowing more space for apps and themes or does Bosstools do the exact same thing more conveniently?
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

CYDIA does the exact same thing more conveniently. Just let Cydia do it when you first run it after jailbreak.
  3. onto808

onto808 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    How do you perform this task if the unit been jailbroken months ago?
  4. Jarlath

If you're running Cydia on firmware 2.x or up, it does it for you on it's first run. Period. Or are you strictly a Rock user? It should still do it, but could take a while to move everything.
  5. onto808

onto808 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What am I doing wrong? I'm running Cydia on firmware 2.x or up. Never installed Rock. Have barely two dozen apps, 3 photos and 3 themes installed, no videos, yet still receiving a low disk error when trying to download a new theme via Cydia. All of my applications show up on disk01 with 500m space which currently shows just 6% space left. Disk 02 shows over 5.1g or 66% available space. It doesn't sound like Cydia moved the applications over to the other partition upon installation.
  6. Jarlath

Then in that case, I'm wondering if you've tried to set this up as a new iPod since Cydia 2 onwards is supposed to move everything for you BY DEFAULT on the first run, It creates the /var/stash/whatever folder, then moves everything out of /Applications on the root folder, creates a symlink, then shuts down so you have to restart Cydia to actually install anything.

Unless, of course, for some reason you decided NOT to allow Cydia to move any files at some point in the past, and there's an old PLIST in the restored iPod which keeps telling Cydia to not relocate any files since that point.
  7. onto808

onto808 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I greatly appreciate your input and in an effort to not take any more of your time, let's say I did the latter. What now is the easiest way to get Cydia to perform this task? Please don't tell me that I need to start over with a restore and re-jailbreak. Hopefully, I can run do this manually through ssh??? thanks again!
  8. Jarlath

Basically, if you did the latter... sorry, Cydia won't do it for you now, unless it's on a fresh jailbreak or fresh Cydia install. And maybe not even then, if there's an old .plist file. You COULD try BossTool... but no guarantees.
  9. onto808

onto808 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks J!
    Unfortunately, sounds like it may be best to start over with a fresh jailbreak. Appreciate your time and info.
  10. Jarlath

Safest to try with a fresh iPod (aka: don't restore from a backup).