ssh movies and music

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MaximumMax, Oct 10, 2008.

1. MaximumMax

MaximumMax New Member

my gf has jailbroke our i touch and we have figured out how to ssh into the i touch but am unsure as to where to put the video file and music files. there are lots of tutorials on getting ssh to work but nothing on where to put the file in the file system on the i touch.we have tryed a few places but they are not being seen on the video file icon on the springboard
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Put them in iTunes and sync
  3. MaximumMax

MaximumMax New Member

We know how to use iTunes... I would like to use WinSCP to transfer mp4 and mp3 to the ipod touch without having to sync via the iTunes app. I just need to know what folders the files (mp4 and mp3) get put into in the ipod touch's OS.

I'm a total noob as far as unix is concerned.

Thank you.
  4. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    /var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/

All the folders in there, they aren't named correctly just by numbers, I think F0 or something like that is videos.
  5. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

That won't put the files into the library, IIRC, since iTunes deliberately scrambles around things so that if they're not in a playlist, they won't show up... nor will they appear in the library on the iPod until synced on. This was a measure put in early on to prevent people from using their iPods as portable pirating music machines; the effort mostly failed, but it still made it inconvenient to transfer music back and forth.
  6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Why would you want to transfer music and videos via SSH?

USB is a LOT faster and you can organize it quite well with iTunes.
  7. MaximumMax

MaximumMax New Member

I was unaware I could do it via USB... see, what i'd like is to be able to take a sizable chunk of my media and put it on the pod but without using itunes, I thought ssh was the only way to go.

I have been able to transfer some test files over to the ipod but I haven't been able to get the pod to recognize them and play them for me.. I must be missing something...

As it stands right now it's going to take well over an hour for itunes to do it's thing to transfer my media..... Not good enough!

Via USB? Any software I should know about? And what to do about itunes scrambling the file names? anything I can do to remedy this?
  8. darc10222

darc10222 Banned

Oh. My. God. Thick, much?
    Via USB = iTunes.
    When he says USB he means iTunes, he's saying "Why wouldn't you use iTunes?". Seriously, why wouldn't you? It's so much easier. The only other way is with PwnPlayer or DTunes and that's just inconvenient.
    You must be missing something? Did you read the previous posts? iTunes scrambles the files. Well over an hour? SSH will take ALOT longer. Just leave it going and go to sleep. Jesus.
  9. errrick

errrick Active Member

DiskAid or iPhoneBrowser will still let you browse the iPhone filesystem thru the USB connection, so USB does NOT equal iTunes.

And yeah, USB speed is much more convenient
  10. noc

noc New Member

Just to point out why one might want to use SSH.. When you download something over night (maybe your *******s start automatically, as mine), it's nice when you can automatically transmit the files to your touch (without any interaction with any software!) so that in the morning you can avoid any hassle, just put your clothes on and grab your touch to go. And all media's readily there waiting for you after a good night's sleep.

I set up something like this because this (I think?) can't be done with ITunes. To get around the problem that you can't view files that you just SSH'd on your touch I used dTunes. dTunes has a folder where you can ssh the files you want to see / listen with it.