SSH Issues with 2.2

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by jdawson, Dec 28, 2008.

1. jdawson

jdawson New Member

I have a first gen iPod Touch (16 gig) and have been jailbreaking it since version 1.0.0 of the touch OS. I also know how to manage a network and IPs and use SSH all the time.

For some reason since I moved to 2.2 I can't get SSH working. I upgraded to 2.1 to 2.2 and used quickpwn to get going.

Everything other then SSH is working fine. My SSH server is installed because I get connect request back but it drops the connection long before I see a login request. I have used lots of clients to connect but it looks like the OpenSSH server is disconnecting on me.

Hopefully you will all remind me about some other supporting software I have forgotten to install like the BSD subsystem or something. (BTW I don't see the BSD subsystem under cydia now in 2.2!) Anyway hopefully someone can point out my error and help me along the way.

Thanks in advance,

Joe
  2. skpx

skpx New Member

I believe Cydia comes pre-packaged with its own BSD subsystem. what error do you receive when it drops the connection: "session timeout", "remote host disconnected", etc ?
  3. jdawson

jdawson New Member

I get "remote host disconnected". I did not know about having it's own BSD... Good to know. Thanks.
  4. skpx

skpx New Member

it maybe a deal with your auth keys from ssh, dunno what OS you are on but maybe check your saved ssh host keys cache in ~/.ssh/known_hosts. it might be trying to use the old host keys from your previous jailbreak. just create a empty file and back the original one up and try to login and see if it asked you to accept a new host key. if that doesn't work the maybe it was a deal with the jailbreak or something.
  5. jdawson

jdawson New Member

You may be on to something...

I looked in my system and I found no "known_hosts" file.
    So I went into /private/var/mobile/.ssh and made one.
    But that had no impact... Any other suggestions?

What should I have in my /private/var/mobile/.ssh directory? Mine is empty...

I also have NO OTHER .ssh directories on my system other then that one.
  6. skpx

skpx New Member

1) What Operating System are you on
    2) What client are you using to connect to the iPod
    3) Try using putty to connect to the iPod
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    You've just been Rick Roll'd

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. jdawson

jdawson New Member

I am using XP SP3 and putty as well as other SSH clients. I have no issue connecting to other systems via SSH so it looks to just be the ipod.

The issue has only been since 2.2.