SSH into your ipod/iphone via Ubuntu terminal to execute commands

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by robertomano24, Nov 2, 2009.

?

Was this helpful?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I dont have Ubuntu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. robertomano24

robertomano24 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I haven't seen a tutorial on this. And this is my first tutorial on these forums.. so bear with me.

I am using and iPod touch 2G, however, this will work on any jailbroken device (firmware 2.0 and up ~ I am on 3.1.2). Also, I am using Ubuntu 9.1 Karmic Koala. Some steps may not work accordingly depending on your version of Ubuntu.

Here we go

Get your iPhone/iPod out
    Download the following from Cydia: OpenSSH, sbsettings
    Respring or Reboot your iPhone/iPod
    Open terminal on Ubuntu (Accessories>Terminal)
    Now, slide (from one side to the other) of your iPhone/iPod status bar. (Where it shows the clock, wifi, battery, etc.)
    This should pop up (though it will look slightly different)
    What we want from this is here

Please Register or Log in to view images

<---------- Wi-Fi IP Address: 192.168.2.100

Your local IP address will probably not be "192.168.2.100", but whatever the number, you need that.

Now that you have that number (IP Address), type or copy/past this into Ubuntu terminal. "ssh -p 22 root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
    Where "ssh" is the built in function to allow Ubuntu to ssh, "-p" signifies you are connecting through a port, "22" is the port you are connecting to, and "root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" ---"root" is the root folder of your iProduct with root permissions and xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your IP you got from the previous step---. (replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with your IP _ex. 192.168.2.100_)

Please Register or Log in to view images

It will ask for a password. Default password is "alpine". If you changed it, you know what it is.
    Now you are logged in.