SSH into your device using Terminal Application

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by Oliver Barker, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well I realized that not enough people new about this so I thought I'd make a quick topic describing how you can do it! I think that any application that acts as a Terminal emulator on the iPhone or iPod Touch doesn't work very well and can be a lot easier to do on your computer. This tutorial is for a Mac, though I don't see why it shouldn't work on Windows with whatever program they use!

1. Make sure that your iPod or iPhone is jailbroken, (yes there are people) on any version.

2. Make sure you have OpenSSH installed (installed as standard with Pwnage)

3. Find out the IP address of your device by going into your wifi settings

4. Type the following code into Terminal, ssh root@your IP here, and press enter

5. Type in your password and enter, how you should be connected to your iPod! You can now run any commands that you need to!

Edit: 100 posts!
  2. JusTiNcReDiBLe

JusTiNcReDiBLe Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So is it possible for me to replace .app folders with modified .app folders to my iPod with Mobile Terminal?
  3. Ihrm

Ihrm New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes you can do that, but its not SSH. This tutorial is talking about SSH using the terminal application on a mac. SSH is to access or exchange data between 2 networked devices.
  4. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Um, this isn't new. I do this all the time in Linux. You can do it with any system that has an ssh client.

This is the whole point of SSH, hence the term Secure Shell. File transfer is just an added benefit.