SSH help please

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ballswick, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Ballswick

Ballswick New Member

hopefully i put this up in the right place but, I really need some help using this SSH I have no idea what I'm doing, first off I downloaded winSCP an followed the guide in the ipod touch general chat forum, but I encounter the same probelm everytime... first off I use the username root an the passowrd alpine I put this code in the private key file area mv /Applications /private/var/Applications here is what it looks like http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm181/Ballswick65/SSH.jpg an here is what happens when I hit enter, but I probably should mention that I have to put in a host name otherwise I cant login so I chose root cause Idk what host name to put but here is what it says http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm181/Ballswick65/SSH2.jpg so I'm guess that even if I get the right host name I'll still need to fix the warning problem soo anyhelp will be apprecaited an please use simple terms cause I have no clue how to uyse this program thanks to all the help
  2. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

*facepalm*

Host is iPods IP (Settings>WiFi>Blue arrow next to connected network)

No key. You'll be able to do what you want after connecting.

Also, if your on 2.x and have used Cydia, you need to do nothing to /Applications. Never move something if you don't know what you are doing (which you don't; you need a symlink and you need to move it into a folder inside var, not just at var)
  3. Ballswick

Ballswick New Member

ok thanks for the help but I have another question I'm having trouble with my installer I'm getting the whit screen for 10 seconds an it returns to home screen cause I installed all the soruces ya know the common problem everyone is having can I fix it using this program, if so how?
  4. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

What firmware?
  5. Ballswick

Ballswick New Member

Opps forgot to mention that I'm using 1.1.4
  6. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

I think it's /var/mobile/Library/Installer and delete remotepackages.plist, then open Installer and uninstall that All sources package you installed recently.

The file is right, but you might have to look around in /var/mobile for the Installer folder.
  7. Ballswick

Ballswick New Member

hmmm ok I found the installer folder where you said it would be but I open it an the inly thing in there is a temp folder an when I open that there is nothing in there
  8. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

If you honestly want to know what my opinion is, I really think you should upgrade to 2.x. You most times won't be able to find the help you need (like now) on 1.1.x. I'd need a 1.1.x iPod to help you now; something almost no one has. If you upgrade, help is available left and right.

Plus, you get 2x the stability, bug fixes, new features, Cydia, and the App Store.
  9. Ballswick

Ballswick New Member

uggg but then I have no clue how to go about doing that again for one I got like 4 1/2 pages of downloaded apps an 2 idk how to jailbreak 2.x unless its the same method I used ziphone an just click the second option also dont I have to purchase it? so yeah keep in mind my ipod is currently jailbroken so idk the ramifications of downloading 2.x... so what do you think/know will happen
  10. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

1) Google felxbruns, click the first link, and download iPod 2.1 firmware.
    2) hold shift and click restore in iTunes, and find the 2.1 firmware
    3) Restore, then read in the 2.1 sections on how to jailbreak.

It's really no big deal losing your apps. You'll be happy you upgraded; it's so good on 2.x. Oh, nothing will damage your iPod; it's impossible to screw it up besides through physical abuse.