SSH doesnt work

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hotrod, Dec 5, 2007.

1. hotrod

hotrod New Member

Hi All,

I managed to get this to work on my home PC when I connected through my wireless router, however, I was unable to SSH into it from my MAC book or my Windows laptop which were connected through the same Wireless router.

Also..i'm unable to SSH to it from my work machine. The Touch is connected to a public wireless router not the internal wireless

Any suggestions?
  2. sat437

sat437 New Member

3. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Any message that could give us a clue?

You won't be able to do that from your work place if your PC is on a subnet, your iPod on another, and that they are not visible from each other (usually it's the case).
  4. hotrod

hotrod New Member

thanks for the replies guys. I've figured out that as my work machine goes through a proxy server its blocking access to the ipod via SSH. is there a way around this? I have my Macbook which can be connected to the work wireless network

I just tried connecting the ipod touch to the macbook using the wireless connection (sharing the macs airport card) and connected to the mac. However i could not ssh into either machine

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You could probably open an SSH connection through another port which is not blocked by the firewall/proxy, but there is still the problem of accessing the iPod on the other side of a public Wi-Fi router. Can you check the IP address of your iPod? Is it accessible from your place at work or is that a local IP address which won't be translated by the router?
  6. sunnyboi14

sunnyboi14 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Read my thread (Troubles with ssh? Try This) It should work, unless your work computer doesnt let you install programs.
  7. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I tried this program (TouchCopy) but you can't browse through your system files, you're limited to the media section of the memory (com.apple.afc service), like a non jailbroken iPod. Besides, you can't access the permission flags, nor send commands since it's based on iTunes.

So it's a good solution if you want to just store files on your iPod, and put/read music files without using the iTunes program, but not to put applications and so on.

Unless I missed something?
  8. sunnyboi14

sunnyboi14 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    you did miss something. I know that its limited to media section. If you read the whole thread, you will see it requires copying the files from the media section to the library section in MobileFinder.

Please Register or Log in to view images