SSH Connection

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dentoters07, Mar 31, 2008.

1. dentoters07

dentoters07 New Member

hi! im new here and i'm a proud owner of a new 8gb ipod touch.. i've been reading through the threads on how to modify/customize my icons/themes, but still its very vague to me.. 1st of all, how can i access the root folders?? is it through the ipod or pC? 2nd, how can i connect using SSH?? i downloaded WinSCP, i dont know if this is the program to use.. i'm very eager to learn anything and everything i need to learn on how to customize themes, install games or apps, etc.. so if someone here is kind enough to help me out, i would really appreciate it..

cheers!!

**kung may kabayan man d2, help me out po..

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Is your iPod Touch Jailbroken?

You need to do that first. After Jailbreaking, you have to install BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH.

Though I'd like to tell you, Don't Jailbreak. Don't jailbreak if you have no idea what you are doing. Oh sure you can learn, but think about it first. What do you really want to get from Jailbreaking? Custom Themes? Thats it?

Jailbreaking brings along with it cool things, but more maintenance.
  3. dentoters07

dentoters07 New Member

hmm.. actually, i dont really know.. what do i get out of jailbreaking my ipod? i want to install games and themes on my ipod.. that's it.. now, are these possible even without jailbreakin' it?? sorry, for the noob Q's..

and btw, i already jb'ed my ipod using Ziphone.. it went well.. noticed 2 new icons which are Intstaller and Zibri's Blog.. other than that, there are no changes.. another question, if i may add, how can i access the root folders of the ipod??

thanks for the quick reply.. appreciated..

4. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You have to Jailbreak your iPod to do extra stuff (for Now) but when the SDK is fully out of Beta (Maybe in June) then people will create apps that will officially natively run on the iPod Touch & iPhone. You can play games & theme your device. But you have to be careful. You could mess up your device and have to restore. As for Games, some games are OK right now but the SDK will yield a lot better games since it has the necessary frameworks to use.

Personally, I haven't jailbroken because there is nothing I need from it. Videos, Music, Webclips, Mail, Internet Surfing are all I need for now.
  5. marko

marko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    but in answer to your question. first of all open installer and click on install. you might need to click on Install community sources (sources are setss of applications and stuff that people put together, the more sources you have the more things you can install) find some thing called BSD Subsystem and Open SSH. youll need those to be able to run most stuff.
    now, with your WinSCP you need to set up a connection. for that you will need the IP address of your touch. go to settings, WiFi then click the little blue arrow next to your wifi. it will tell you the IP address.

iin Winscp your connectionhould be hostname=your ip, port =22, username = root and password = alpine.

that should connect you and youll be able to see the file structure. for putting stuff on manually you will need to search around as to where to put them and how to set permissions. its actually much easier to install some games and stuff directly from the installer.
  6. dentoters07

dentoters07 New Member

thanks! now for Winscp, basically the ipod needs to be connected thru Wifi first? coz i went through settings/wifi and the little blue arrow and its not showing me my ip address..

deym, im really confused now.. grrrr... i didnt have any problems modding phones for the longest time.. but now.. deym.. thanks a lot.. please tell me more..

7. marko

marko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    yeah you need to have the wifi
  8. dentoters07

dentoters07 New Member

how bout using iphone browser or something?? can i access root and sub-directories there?? i've been trying to find an installer for it but no luck..