ssh and winscp error

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by ipodgamez, Feb 6, 2008.

1. ipodgamez

ipodgamez Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    ok so im on jailbreak 1.1.3. i have openssh, services, bsd subsystem 2.0, term-vt100 and winscp (on my comp)
    i connect to some wifi that i catch from my room whose ip is (192.168.0.6) so i go to winscp and put in 192.168.0.6 then root as user then alpine as the password then i press login and get a popup which says "Network error: Connection timed out." btw i have tried using my ipod in term-vt100 and typing ssh root@192.168.0.6 and that works fine.
    PLEASE SOMEONE HELP I HAVE SEARCHED EVERYWHERE FOR ABOUT 3 DAYS STRAIGHT.
  2. Jak33

Jak33 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    wow. im in the SAME boat. it sucks doesn't it... if i figure anything out ill tell you

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. hovik818

hovik818 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    can i join you guys because i dont see why everyone cant connect but some of us cant, what are we doing wrong!
  4. ipoopooh

ipoopooh New Member

hahahahahahaha

hahahaah you guys must not get how routers work

Please Register or Log in to view images

you have to be connected to the same wifi source (router) on your ipod and PC/MAC
  5. Jak33

Jak33 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    NOOOOO, really?! you think we are mental? i am a very accomplished itouch hacker, and i don't like people like you who just assume that because we have a problem, that we are n00bz. I happen to think you are, because you would rather ridicule someone then help us out. and if that statement was meant to be helpful, you shouldn't start it off calling us morons. now if any one else has solved this problem before, please respond and actually help us out.
  6. tnm1303

tnm1303 New Member

This might help

rm -f ~/.ssh/known_hosts

explaination to your problem: "Each time you reinstall SSH, the random host-key is regenerated. To make sure one host doesn't pose as another, your local ssh client keeps a database of these hash keys, and if it changes, it refuses to connect, because the assumption is there that some machine might pose as another, which would be a security risk (e.g. phishing of passwords).
    simply edit ~/.ssh/known_hosts to remove the line that has your iPhone's key, or else, just delete the entire file." - rcfa
  7. tnm1303

tnm1303 New Member

edit**** log into the terminal on your computer. not on your ipod touch. just to clarify. hop this help.
  8. ipodgamez

ipodgamez Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    is this actually true?
    can someone who knows that their ssh and winscp worksd try this (connect your ipod touch to a diff wifi source and try to ssh into it using the computer u used to confirm the first ssh and winscp)

SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM (STICKY?)
    CRITICAL!!!-you must be using a computer that connects to the same network as the ipod is connecting to. (if anyone can find a way to be able to ssh into your ipod if your ipod and your computer are connected to different routers that would be great)

Step 1: Make sure auto lock on the ipod is set to never then Install BSD Subsystems 2.0 then install openssh then install Services then install term-vt100 (From Installer)
    Step 2: On your iPod go to term-vt100 and check if the password alpine logs you in (while typing the password itll appear as though your not typing in anything)

Step 3: once you can confirm the password alpine works then you can go to step 4 (if not then you might need to install a few fixes from installer

Step 4: Go to services and make sure Wifi and SSh are switched on

Step 5: go back to your computer and make sure you are connected via Wifi to the same wifi that your ipod is connected to and download winscp (i like the standalone version the best)

Step 6: once downloaded open winscp406.exe and it should popup

Step 7: leaving the popup open go to your iPod and click settings->Wi-Fi->click the blue arrow next to the connection that the ipod is connected to. Write down the ip address

Step 8: back to the computer in the popup where it says host name type the ip address which you wrote down then for username type root then for password carefully without caps lock write alpine then without messing with any other options click save. then you can rename it watever youd like then click ok then ok again

Step 9: click login and dont touch anything even if a popup with an abort option pops up

Step 10: after about 40 seconds-1 minute you should get a popup about an rsa key just press yes then it should work
  9. ipodgamez

ipodgamez Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    isnt this sticky worthy??
  10. macmercy

macmercy New Member

Step 10: after about 40 seconds-1 minute you should get a popup about an rsa key just press yes then it should work.

Yes, of cause it does. On a PC...
    On a Mac with several ftp-apps you don't get the popup for the key - just an ,Access denied/Timeout'. No chance.

Reboot the iPod and the next time you use WinSCP, the popup comes again (showing a new key). Tested here yesterday.

This has all been discussed here:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37278
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37890