ssh and general Unix sysadmin using Terminal

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 1776, Jun 11, 2008.

1. 1776

1776 New Member

Hi: I'm noob to this forum; I hope this is the right forum for this, I did look first. If not, please advise.

I jailbroke my 8MB IPT yesterday and installed a bunch of things, BSD substem, Cydia, OpenSSH and Term-vt100. What I really want is to be able to perform sysadmin tasks on my FreeBSD and Linux servers using my IPT.

I can ssh from it ok using the terminal command line, but as we all know, the IPT keyboard has no control character. This makes a lot of things difficult to impossible. There's a little panel that pops up if you touch the screen, but all it has on it are commands you could easily type: ls, cd, grep, etc. The only think really useful that I can see is exit, which uses killall to do what I would normally use ctl-d for.

If anybody can offer any advice as to where to find a tool like this that offers control key functionality, or at least some common control commands like ctl-c, ctl-d, perhaps even an escape, I'd be very appreciative. Better yet, a self-contained ssh client or Telnet-Launcher-like app and/or any other tips for this sort of use.

Thanks in Advance!
  2. cameleon1267

cameleon1267 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    the gesture for CTRL is swipe your finger from top left to bottom right. when you popup the little menu go to the button with the smiley and then to the config part. you can see and setup the gestures.

ctrl-c is from bottom left to top right
  3. 1776

1776 New Member

Cool, thanks! That gesture works better than I would have thought...the curser even turns red to show you when you got the swipe right. If you can point me to further documentation on this, that would be great. Google isn't coming up with anything.