SSH and custom wallpapers, etc.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by chrisvandergaag, Aug 18, 2008.

1. chrisvandergaag

chrisvandergaag New Member

Still new to jailbroken ipods, but tonight I used SSH to get into the file system and managed to solve a problem I was having with "user wallpaper" and Winterboard. I was unable to edit the specific wallpaper that was called up when I clicked "user wallpaper". By using SSH and an FTP client, I managed to fix it by replacing a .jpg image in the themes part of the file tree.

for anyone who's new and isn't sure how to do this,

-install OpenSSH on your iPod, via Cydia

-get an FTP client on your computer

-hook your iPod to your computer via USB

-start a new FTP connection to the IP of your router

connection type: SFTP
    username: root
    password: alpine

and hit connect. it'll take awhile to work. you have to re-try at least once, usually. just keep hitting 'retry'. eventually it'll take.

from there, navigate to:

/private/var/stash/Themes_xxxx/ and then in whichever folder "user wallpaper" is stored in, you'll find a JPG image. replace it with a jpg that's 320x480, go back into winterboard, uncheck "user wallpaper", respring your iPod, go back into Winterboard and recheck it, and that's it; your wallpaper will show up.

My question is, is there a more straightforward way to do this? through wireless, from the Touch itself? No matter what I do, in terms of checking and unchecking wallpaper options in RiP dev and customize and 'settings', i was unable to change what the iPod decided was my 'user wallpaper'.

Also, since I've jailbroken it, I get a calendar showing up on my lock screen, doesn't anyone know why? and how to change/customize this?
  2. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Wallpaper: No other way really yet. Be grateful you CAN change the wallpaper thanks to saurik

Kate wallpaper: Winterboard overrides everything. Kate, Customize, SSH, etc.

Calender: Uninstall uCalendar from Settings > RiP Dev
  3. chrisvandergaag

chrisvandergaag New Member

Thanks... appreciated... really stoked about how my iPod is shaping up.... still dodging 2.0.2...
  4. ssddyakno

ssddyakno New Member

Random zombie thread. Just wanted to update with an easy solution, as I was trying to do this exact thing.

I used the folder tree you listed above. Download your wallpapers, and then use irfanview (photo viewer free from download.com) to open and save as .png. That's what all the other files in the wallpaper folder are formatted as. It will recognize them and they will actually show up in the wallpaper folder.