Sprint Andoid Phones

Discussion in 'Android Chat' started by lehman310, Jul 9, 2010.

1. lehman310

lehman310 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    What is the better android phone, the HTC Hero or the Samsung Moment, I am getting one tomorrow and cannot decide. I am leaning towards a Hero since I hear good things about HTC and every samsung phone Ive had, has broken.
  2. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Moment. The Hero is slow.
  3. TREYisRAD

TREYisRAD Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Any reason you're not interested in the Evo?
  4. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    This. If you have the means to get the Evo, don't even bother with the other Sprint phones.
  5. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Price of the device, plus the extra $240 over two years you may not use because 4G areas are tiny?

I just picked up the Moment the other day and I have to say it is great. Really liking the keyboard and weight of the phone, feels great in the hand. Pretty speedy as well.
  6. lehman310

lehman310 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I would buy the Evo if it were not for the extra 10 a month where I would never be near 4g coverage. I heard that the 2.1 update sped up the hero quite a bit. Also since the moment does not have multitouch, how do I zoom in on webpages? Can you do the double tap like on iPhone?
  7. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I have an HTC DROID Incredible, which runs Sense UI 2.1. Honestly, I can only imagine that the Hero is slow.

But then again, it may not be. Why? Because it isn't pushing as high of a resolution as the Incredible is (320x480 vs. 480x800) so it should be OK.

On the other hand though, are you sure that you feel fine buying a one year old phone that you will have for two years? It won't be updated to Froyo (google it; you want it) officially. Unless you are going to root it, I'd get the Moment (or the EVO, which is definitely worth the $10 a month, regardless of 4G service).

And the Samsung Epic 4G is right around the corner, as is another lower end Samsung slider (the Intercept, I believe).
  8. lehman310

lehman310 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I would wait for the intercept but I heard that it has an older sprint 3g radio in it that makes web browsing slow on it. But the good thing is that we are sprint premier customers so we can upgrade yearly and I am coming from a Lg Rumor, so anything is better. I will try both phones out tomorrow at the store and see which one is better.

Also, I see that neither the Hero or the Moment will be upgraded to the 2.2 Froyo. What is better about this OS? Sorry this will be my first android phone so I am out of the loop and only know about cheap Lg dumbphones
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Also, for all of you that have a moment, have you experienced any issues with the phone putting itself into airplane mode?
  9. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Froyo is just the newst rendition of the 2.X Android firmwares. It is supposed to be getting things like Adobe Flash with it. While it may not come officially, sdx-developers are working on a ROM of Froyo.

The Intercept is just a crappier Moment. Mostly everything is the same except the UI, no camera flash, and a crappier radio. But, it will be getting Froyo and so that will help with porting it to the Moment.

I havn't had data lockups, but some older users have. I only recently got my Moment 2 days ago, so I am still testing everything out.
  10. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Android OS 2.2 (codenamed Frozen Yogurt) includes something called the JIT which, as I understand it, cuts out the middle-man (so to speak) for applications running. In layman's terms, applications will perform 3-4x faster on 2.2 than 2.1. That's the biggest feature in it, along with Adobe Flash and Air, although it has hundreds of other bug fixes/improvements/etc. If I had any choice whatsoever, I would definitely get something that will be updated. The EVO will, and I assume (maybe?) that the Intercept will.

I wasn't aware of any radio problems, but I'm no expert on Sprint phones.

But, if you are willing to root the phone, then all my arguments become basically null and void. Because there is always a developer on XDA working. So you'll get it that way, if you root.