Springboard vs Summerboard

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by moosh, Nov 9, 2007.

1. moosh

moosh New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I only have the springboard application or SMBfd or whatever that came with the touch once jailbroken. How do I change my ipod touche's wallpaper? Do I need summerboard for that? Whats the difference?
  2. rem736

rem736 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    you can change the wallpaper by tapping on the settings icon, then wallpaper. however, i'm thinking that this isn't exactly what you are after, as the "wallpaper" here only shows at the "slide to unlock" screen.

if you want to have a custom background image showing behind the app icons, then you will need to install summerboard. in summerboard settings, you'll see "theme wallpaper" under appearance and "wallpaper" under advanced. "theme wallpaper" refers to the background image that comes with one of the many downloadable themes (or you can create your own theme). "wallpaper" under advanced refers to the image that you can see at the unlock screen. leave "wallpaper" on always. if you want to see "wallpaper" under your app icons, then turn "theme wallpaper" off. if it's on, it will overide your "wallpaper".

one last thing: always leave the "dim wallpaper" feature off. turning it on has caused apps to crash randomly and a need for me to force a restore and re-jailbroke my ipodt.
  3. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I thought Summerboard was just an add-on on top of Springboard. Why should I need to have Summerboard installed to use my own custom background picture behind the icons? I can change all the icons and sliders without installing Summerboard, shouldn't the background image be the same thing? From what I can see, Summerboard just simplifies changing icons by grouping stuff into themes, but the actual files that would change icons and wallpaper have to exist somewhere in the file system and should be changeable whether you're running Summerboard or not. Am I wrong in this?
  4. rem736

rem736 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    you may be completely right. that's just my take. however, as you may have alluded to, it makes it easier for most people who have little or no knowledge of programming to use.