[SPOILERS ARE HERE] Inception

Discussion in 'Music, Movies, TV, and Videos' started by Danls92, Jul 23, 2010.

?

Was the entire movie a dream?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    54.8%
  1. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Do you guys think that the entirety of Inception was a dream or not? When I'm half asleep and more verbose I'll go into my thinking more, but I think that it was in fact a dream.
  2. ipodreviewer1000

ipodreviewer1000 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i too infact believe it was a dream i mean it all sums up
  3. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
  4. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    That is exactly how I felt.
  5. iMicky

iMicky New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I actually thought it was a good ending

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Danls92

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Agreed, I mean c'mon, 3 major twists in like 10 seconds

1) It's still spinning- IT'S A DREAM!
    2) It's wobbling- IT'S REAL!
    3) Cut to black- WE'LL NEVER KNOW!
  7. iMicky

iMicky New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Described what I was thinking right there!

But this type of film is usually something I avoid - I do find them entertaining but the endings always cut off before anything is actually resolved - but with Inception, it showed you what happened to them but also leaves you with that completely separate mystery.

The right way to do a cliffhanger

8. Danls92

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You should watch A Serious Man, all time favorite ending there

9. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    I watched it the 1st day it came out,and have had my eye on inception since early 2009 and I believe The end was amazing.

Its ambiguous and allows you to conjure up a conclusion. Its one of them things. You enter the movie in a day of the Dream Team, and you know nothing about them. But in the 2 hours and 28 mins you watch the movie, you become attached to the characters and I believe an ending like that is perfect. It is as if you leave them to go on with there life.

As for the whole dream or not thing. I believe it was not a dream, but reality . It is like one of them moments where Nolan says to the audience

"Pfft, yeah you wish"

Also, in Doms mind, there is no such thing as reality, but his take on reality. Like Mal believed that 'Limbo' was her reality, it became her reality no matter what. Inception is about 1 man coming to terms with the truth and his guilt. Dom over comes he guilt over Mal, and this is all that matters to him.

He turns his back on the Totem, his children is all that matter to him.

His children always look the same and never age, even in his mind because its what he believes. Non of the flash backs are true, its his little prison. It shows it as if it was a black in his head, like it happened, but the projection isn't real, its how he imagines them.

Like how he saw himself and Mal as young when they got hit by the train,when in fact they were old.

I like ambiguity. I know some people need closure, concrete ideas, definitive explanations. But is life ever really like that? The fact that we don’t have a damn clue what will happen next. Which is why the spinning top in the final scene of Inception is one of the greatest endings I have ever seen.

When Cobb’s projection of his dead wife asks him how the children are, he responds by saying “I can’t imagine.” Yet at the end, he finally sees their faces and the spinning top is forgotten. It doesn’t matter if this is reality or not anymore, or whether the totem topples or carries on forever.

Dreams feel real while we’re in them. It’s only when we wake up that we realise something was actually strange.
  10. The7thWitness

The7thWitness New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i read on yahoo,
    the kids havnt aged at all even though hes been gone for so long.
    He always checks to see if hes in reality by watching if the top falls or not, and in the end he doesnt watch it, he just walks away, so he knew he was dreaming, other wise he wouldnt have walked away.

If he felt it was reality he would have stayed to watch the top fall to confirm the reality, like he always does, even when the moment wasnt one that would fulfill his strongest desire.