Speed Up Cydia for iPhone/iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Xgin, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Xgin

Xgin New Member

Want to speed up Cydia for your iPhone and iPod Touch read on.

One thing that I hate about Cydia is its loading time which is painfully slow, now Jay Freeman has released essential Cydia APT upgrades to Cydia Package Installer which is expected to speed up Cydia by decreasing the loading times and improving overall performance.

How to speed up Cydia Loading

Go to Cydia –> Changes –> Upgrade the following

Install APT 0.7 ( apt-key) and APT 0.7 Strict(Lib)

After I installed the upgrades and restarted springboard, there was not much to talk home about, there was only a little bit speed improvement, or may be its because of my iPod Touch, as its space is almost fully occupied. Let me know if the updates improve the Cydia speed for you.

If that doesn’t work, you can always install ICY which is a Cydia Alternative and is considerably faster.
  2. Jayden

Jayden Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks. I'm going to try this out on Monday when the full release of iOS4 and jailbreak comes out!
  3. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I wouldn't advise you to use ICY because it is out of date. The original creators of ICY shut it down, however someone was able to upload a copy of it onto the RipDev repo. So you could get it if you wanted to, but most of the packages in it aren't updated. My advice: stick with CYDIA and be patient. It beats downloading an out-of-date package from ICY that may screw up your device and cause you to restore. Hope this clears up some questions!
  4. Gatorsxrule

Gatorsxrule New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Icy isn't shut down, it's been discontinued, but it is open source so anyone can keep working on it
  5. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, that's what I meant. But no one is really working on it regularly, so I still wouldn't recommend it.
  6. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You're not gonna get an out of date package from Icy unless the package is out of date on the repository. All Cydia and Icy are is graphical interfaces and installers that let you access online repositories and download and install them. Icy itself may be old but it accesses the same repositories and the same files as Cydia.