Speck CandyShell Durability?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by spike021, Oct 29, 2010.

1. spike021

spike021 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hi Guys. I'm sure these questions will be familiar to you, so my apologies, but I'm looking for some current answers to them. All responses are welcome, including users of both iPhone and iPod Touch versions of this case.

Firstly, since this case has a glossy back, how does it fare against scratches? I have a RebelTouch for my iPod Touch 2G, which has somewhat of a glossy back. So I'm familiar with scratches. Is this case decent anyway? Can you possibly post a pic or two of the back if possible so that I can see, etc? What's this case's shock-absorption like? How's the inside? I read that it's "soft" so I'll assume that it's silicon or something of the sort and not fabric or etc. I don't mind minor scratches on my new iPod Touch 4G, but if it's known to cause serious scratches then please let me know.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. mkm159

mkm159 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    man the switcheasy candyshell is a popular case to talk about hahaha

anyways, the only issue i had with it (had a 2G with this case) was that the bottom part, the bottom strip right under the home button, tends to either snap off or bend. It is a very thin piece of plastic, which means it will not be durable. Mine actually started to bend upward a little. Very weird.

I had the white and red version and the back did not really show scratches unless you tilted it at specific angles. The back was white, which like i said will not really show scratches.
    The inside was red silicone. Durable silicone. Never had a problem with it.

Good case. Good protection. The back was pretty hard. Seemed like it would take a couple falls. I never dropped it so I have no idea. Just that irritating little piece of plastic is really the only issue. lol
  3. Captain*

Captain* Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I have had a Candyshell for about 3 / 4 months and have just switched back to my switcheasy rebel because the Candyshell is now unusable. After removing the case a few times the bridge that covers the metal underneath the home button will split and begin to deteriorate. Until it gets like this:

As for the back, it gets scratched up but I just compare to how unscratched my iPhone is, rather a piece of $20 plastic than a $450 phone if im honest:

I am buying a new candyshell as its the best iPhone 3G/3GS case I have ever owned. Its very durable, and as the name suggest the inner core is soft like a candy and hard on the outside, again like a candy. This is such a good design, the outside protects the phone from scratches and makes it resilient to higher falls, whereas the soft inner core really protects the phone from any drop, bump, scrape ect. This means the phone doesnt scratch, and I can tell you. After 4 months of use I have absolutely NO scratches on the phone (or any more than the switcheasy rebel caused) - and to top it of the lip around the phone stops the screen getting impact when the phone is dropped on its face, my screen is still immaculate after a 5 foot drop with impact screen side up. Seriously this case is the shiz.

Highly recommended. (even after the split, I just wont remove the case as much on the new one)
  4. mkm159

mkm159 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    nice pics!
    that is really the only problem. that little piece of plastic right under the home button.
    although, supposedly they have improved their iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G cases by making that strip more durable.
    the scratches on the case will come with most other hard cases, so that is not a deal breaker really.

Also, CurtGuven, i do believe it is covered under warranty.
    Show Speck that pic, with proof of purchase, and I do believe they should send you a new one, if it is under one year old (the case)
    Because that little strip breaking is not your fault.
  5. ShizerMonkey

ShizerMonkey Banned

Device:
    iPad
    Exactly what mire said above, I have both the candy shell for my iPhone4 and iPod touch 4 and they have been quite decent so far. Don't worry about the bridge snapping, that problems been solved.

It really depends on what colour of case your planning on getting. If it's black it will defiantly pick up scratches just like anything else would.

The only downside is that's it's awkward to remove. But other than that I recommend it.
  6. pgenereux

pgenereux Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Highly recommended!
  7. spike021

spike021 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks for the input guys! I'm trying to decide on design now -___- Either Cha Cha Aqua or the Joker or even White since the pic on Apple.com looks pretty slick actually.

Plus to make matters worse, Amazon (no tax and free shipping!) hasn't even started carrying them yet... I almost feel like buying directly from Speck. Does anyone know if they charge tax? I'm guessing they do. I did hear that shipping with them is free though.
  8. mkm159

mkm159 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Joker. definitely. looks so awesome!
    you could also buy it from apple.com

actually. DO NOT BUY FROM APPLE.
    4.00 shipping
    3.21 tax (texas)

i doubt speck has a tax. i dont remember paying a tax when i bought from them
  9. spike021

spike021 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Ahhh. I see. Well, I've been speaking with Speck Customer Services the last couple days emailing back and forth and it turns out that there are new designs coming soon. Guess I'll wait lol. Looks like there's another case that looks like Joker, but is slightly different in color I guess. Also one like ChaCha Aqua, except that there's a red-pink color rather than orange for the lining.