Speaker On with Mic Plugged In

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by AKmike, Oct 27, 2009.

1. AKmike

AKmike New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    A toggle or other method of turning on the internal speaker of the ipod touch when a mic is plugged in. Skype has it so it is possible through software. I tried making a frankensteined mic lacking the L/R headphone contacts hoping just having the mic contacts would let the sound out of the speaker but the ipod won't recognize something is plugged in without the tip.

I have seen this same idea posted in various places but not in this area so maybe someone here with knowledge of such things could verify if this is overly complicated or what. It would be very nice for VOIP, but also for field recordings to hear a playback without unplugging.

Thank you
  2. Alia5

Alia5 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    oh yeah
    sb settings toggle for this would be sweet!
  3. Gman4354

Gman4354 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You can ask one of our developers here if they would be kind enough to do it, I would but I'm not that good at iPhone programing yet. Even if they can't figure out how to do it I'm sure they can contact Skype and ask for the bit of source code they used to do it!

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. AKmike

AKmike New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey, there's an idea. I'll see if I can contact someone who has already made toggles for SBSettings. Thanks.
  5. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Can I ask how you made the mic?
    I might cry in happiness if you made it with a pair of old headphones, old an old 3.5in plug and a mic
  6. AKmike

AKmike New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I used one of those thumbtack mics from Deal Extreme (very cheap) and just cut the pin and 1st sleeve off (L/R headphones). My thinking was that just having the mic contacts plugged in would allow the mic to work but unfortunately it wants to see the whole plug plugged in before it will do anything.

I also tore apart a pair of bootleg iphone headphones and just experimented with different wiring configurations by using alligator clip jumpers and the mic/headphones. One idea was to use an earpiece as both a speaker and mic by reversing the polarity. I had limited success and that really doesn't solve the issue very well.

There is a small plug in speaker with mic you can order from Deal Extreme but the mic on the one I got is worse than anything else I have tried, and the speaker is quieter than the one on the touch.

End result of all of this... it proved my theory wrong and showed that how the audio and mic signal routing works is largely software based. The only constructive thing I got out of it is that I will take a mic capsule and plug from my scrap pile and build a very small mic that will be almost flush with the bottom of the touch. What's funny about this is that all this screwing around with how the thing works always seems to lead back to that nagging chide of "Just get an iPhone". ha. It has the mic, speaker... everything working right from the start. That wouldn't be any fun though. Well...
  7. Dragon000

Dragon000 New Member

im wondering if theres any update on this