Space Invaders: Infinity Gene Level File Decoding

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by ZombieKiller, Aug 8, 2009.

1. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    So i decided to try to see if i can make my own Space invaders levels... so i looked through the files and found .map files and .dat files. I copied the whole thing inside the .dat file of the last extra stage and then pasted it again... to see if it would do anything to the level. I played through level, and sure enough, the level was different.

Now i need help on how the levels work. when i open the .dat files in text editor, i get this mumbo jumbo.

Im trying to figure out how it works, i just need a little help.
  2. Dr. Rambo

Dr. Rambo Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    .DAT files can be confusing, in my experience. They can be 'encoded' (if that's the right term) in different ways for different purposes. I am going to assume that the ones in this case are just binary. You might look for a .dat converter, but I'm not sure. Can I see the actual files (just the .map's and .dat's, not the whole thing)?
  3. iWishfull

iWishfull New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well a couple things:

1. Are you sure you open .dat files with Notepad or something?

2. See what happens if you copy the same characters over to make a new level, is it the same?
  4. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Yea, i copied a whole level to a different one, and i got the same exact level.
  5. iWishfull

iWishfull New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Aaaaah. Notepad won't always work. You'll be able to read a bit of it but the rest is jiberish stuff that's doesn't make sense. Try opening with other programs and google around. Ooooh like here:

tinyurl.com/lf7657

Love that site!!!

So I'll look around too because there was a program I found somewhere that did...