Source of heat, battery or cpu? Best way to use Ipt3 as a gaming console?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by heinz, Jan 25, 2010.

1. heinz

heinz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi ipodtouchfans,

I have a question that am not finding any answer to.
    I know that there are 100s of threads about the battery, but I have to start another one because no one contains the information that I´m looking for.

I mainly use my Ipt3 for gaming purposes, and it gets pretty hot pretty soon and I always thought that it would be the battery as it gets drained. While charging my Ipod, it does only get slightly warm. However, as apple states that after the battery is fully charged, the charging stops, and the device is powered using the current from the charging adapter, I thought it would be a nice idea to leave it plugged in while playing to conserve battery lifespan. But the ipod does get even warmer then.
    So I´m asking myself, if i use it after it finished charging, does the battery get drained and constantly recharged and is that the cause for the heat generated, or is it the processor that is generating the heat?(Would surprise me...)

I would like to hear your opinion...
    Thanks
  2. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

The whole casing is metal. Which is a conductor of heat, plus there's no cooling.

I don't think it's just the CPU (which is underclocked anyway), but the GPU and battery as well. It's normal, Apple designed the iPod touch as a gaming device, and most certainly made informed choices on the components to endure that sort of use.

So don't worry about heat unless it starts to burn you

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. heinz

heinz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    As I am new to apple, I do not believe in the common apple did the best thing for you philosophy. Anyway, the capacity of the battery starts degrading at about 35°C... So I´m asking myself, If the battery is fully charged, is it permanently bypassed and the device powered from the mains, or does it simply stop charging, wait for you to drain the battery until it recognizes the battery not being full anymore, and starts
    charging again(+again+again...)?

Ps: did you hear about the 2 or 3 devices that exploded? Apple wanted the owners to sign NDA´s...

Please Register or Log in to view images