[Source Code] Oh Walls!

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by JoshuaCaputo, Feb 27, 2009.

1. JoshuaCaputo

JoshuaCaputo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I was going to make a wallpaper application but i figured I'd do the App Store a service by not, and all of you a service by giving you this

Please Register or Log in to view images

Haha, heres the source code, Keep in mind Im not the best coder on this site so criticism is acceptable but watch it!

its attached, images don't belong to me (except the ones included)

PLEASE USE FOR REFERENCE ONLY (if I wanted it on the app store it would be there)

Attached Files:

2. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Uh... where is the source code?
  3. JoshuaCaputo

JoshuaCaputo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  4. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

The world owes you a favor for not releasing this on the AppStore. It is apps like this that give AppStore app developers a bad name.

Now, that said, it is a good idea, but skimming through the code, I noticed on my very first scan through a glaring mistake. So, I loaded this up in Instruments, and my assumption was concerned.

Do you even test the things that you release?

This, my friends, is what we refer to as "Leakware."

Fullsize image: http://www.ifans.com/forums/imgcache/27553.png
  5. JoshuaCaputo

JoshuaCaputo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Haha, I never even opened that before. Whats leakware and how do I fix it? Please

Ok: I opened intruments and it seems to "leak" every time it finds the next image
  6. SkylarEC

What?!

Instruments is what you use to check for memory leaks, etc. You should ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS run it on your applications before you release anything. What you can clearly see is that you are leaking memory left and right. It actually appears that your app is designed to leak memory. If you were to run your app, and nothing else, just let your application remain open, after a while the phone would reboot because all the memory has been used/leaked by your app.

You want something that resembles this:

Notice there are no memory leak spikes? I use almost 40MB of RAM, and I safely, and correctly get rid of what I no longer need. [EDIT: Actually, I think this screenshot is ~28MB, as it was my second screenshot, but I'm not going to upload another image]

Mind you, that image is old, and I rarely need more than 25 - 30 MB RAM (that's called efficiency), but still, you get the point. To fix the problem, go into your application and fix the memory leaks.

EDIT:
    You should adjust the time to check for leaks to the shortest time that still keeps your app running smoothly. This allows for much more accurate results.
  7. JoshuaCaputo

JoshuaCaputo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    what are memory leaks, where I don't dealloc?
  8. SkylarEC

Oh, My, God. This is the EXACT reason that I HATE all you people trying to make things for the AppStore. The sheer amount of amateurishness makes all the rest of the AppStore developers look bad.

I STRONGLY suggest you do a lot more studying and learning before continuing on.

Start with something like this: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93567&highlight=memory leak

Then, maybe buy a book or two that cover the basics of coding in Objective-C.
  9. JoshuaCaputo

JoshuaCaputo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I am sorry, this is why I have one app, and I sit and learn a little more each day. Like now, now I am learning this. I assume I should have learned this first. I am sorry if I hurt your feelings or something.

I agree 100% with you in that the App Store is way to crowded by idiots, there are some really great apps that are hidden under the sh*tty ones. I would say every version of my app except for the current one should have been classified as sh*t as well.

Ranting all over as you are tonight is a bit uncalled for though, no offends.

I am nowhere near as good a Obj-C coder than you and we all know it, I have said it many times before just so you recognize that. When I ask the questions I do, or anyone for that matter, they are not being inferior to your greatness, even if they are. They are rather actually asking you a question, which you usually have an answer for but you always have some way to put us down...

Im sorry, but there was once this guy on here, Erza I think. He did this and it made me hate the internet. Haha, please don't get mad at me or anything but seriously...

Sincerely,
    Joshua Caputo,

PS: This is not a private message because I want to feel like a badass saying it

haha

PSS, I genuinely did not have any clue about instrument, I figured if it ran on the iPhone with no lag or errors it was fine.
  10. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Well I only started using instruments a few weeks ago (don't worry I haven't released any apps yet). And so looking at what mine should resemble it looks like I'm doing good at the moment. Yay me!