Soundboard Legalities

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by Salmanius, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Salmanius

Salmanius Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    After finding nothing on the internet or on the rest of the forums I've come here.

Ive seen multiple apps on the App Store lately that are soundboards for Movies/games/etc which i expect would contain copyrighted material. The Hangover Soundboard. Anchorman Soundboard. They charge a dollar or two for the apps. Are the they paying royalties on them or is there some rules that allow them to get away with it?
  2. metakirbyknight

metakirbyknight New Member

These should be illegal and would be taken down if Apple were notified by the copyright owner.

The developers may be hiding under the DMCA rule that allows the creation of new work using someone else's work, that or the parody exemption.
  3. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Aren't such exemptions only valid for non-commercial use?
    Either way, if your development goes only as far as a soundboard, you don't deserve anyone's money.
  4. Salmanius

Salmanius Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    For the most part i was curious, but a sound board might be a fun little app to make and mess around with for personal/friend use. Ill try emailing one of the developers.
  5. metakirbyknight

metakirbyknight New Member

They are only for school projects and the like. But I've seen stupider reasons for doing things.

Agreed about the money.