Sound Quality???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mattyusk2002, Dec 11, 2007.

1. mattyusk2002

mattyusk2002 New Member

Is anyone kinda disappointed that the touch has poorer sound quality than a second gen. nano?? You can definitely tell if you compare them with a car stereo. Also, for those wondering, the 1.1.2 firmware does noticeably make the touch sound better than the 1.1.1, but you can't really tell with headphones. It's hilarious the difference in quality between the nano and touch. The touch sounds ok if you have the volume set about half way on the touch itself, and then change the volume on the car radio, anything above 3/4 volume on the touch and sound quality starts to crack up and deteriorate quickly(this is to be expected on any portable media player device). On my nano however, I can max out the volume and the sound quality is still there. Why is this? That's my question. You think a newer ipod would be better. However, I much rather have my touch because all the other stuff it does. Maybe that's why the sound quality isn't as good???? Anyway, I love my touch, but I'm just sayin'. Kinda strikes me as odd.
  2. Farami

Farami New Member

Actually, Ive encountered the same with the standard heaphones, but since I've bought some better phillips in-ear ones the quality is great, even maxed out...
  3. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    To tell you the truth, I have Bose headphones and am a musician (and a bit of an audiophile), and the iPod sounds fine to me. While the digital formats are inherently lossy, the iPod by no means sounds bad.

I don't have a nano to compare it to, but on its own I don't notice any large audio problems.
  4. plg6067

plg6067 New Member

I have will try yo see if there is a difference my bro has a 2nd gen nano(i lost mine )-:
  5. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

As someone with both a nano and a touch I think the touch sounds just fine. Get rid of the crap Apple earbuds. I own a pair of Shure SE210 and they sound great.
  6. Nappy1020

Nappy1020 New Member

i dnot have a problem with the aidio, but maybe its just my headphones, cuz their kinda nice too.
  7. dualcorex

dualcorex New Member

i consider myself an audiophile and i have bose headphones. big and small. i used to have the zen vision m which i thought at the time had the best audio quality out of any mp3player. however when i compared it to the ipod the ipod did sound a tad better. couldnt tell much from going 1.1.1 to 1.1.2. it is not that bad. all o fmy music is in 320kbps mp3 so maby that is why.
  8. julegave

julegave New Member

Only retards and poor people use the standard earphones.....with other words the standard headphones SUCK
  9. David Smith

David Smith New Member

Further issues

I have an Ipod Touch 16gb unit and have also noticed poor sound quality but in a different way-
    Hissing and popping noises when playing through Speakers with docking units etc.
    At first I thought it could be the Wifi, so turned it off - it seemed to help for a few minutes but then the hissing and popping noises came back!

There is no problems through headphones or if I connect speakers via the headphone output socket. It seems only to occur when you have something that charges the Touch.

This was reinforced when I tried playing it through a wirelss transmitter in the car.
    No problems until I plugged in my Ipod Car Charger while playing music - the dreaded hiss started again. As soon as it was unplugged and just ran off the Ipod battery- no sound distortion!
    I can understand interference from the car / wireless transmitter and initially thought it was poor speaker units (even though my 2nd Gen Nano did not have these problems)

VERY Annoying to think it's the Touch itself!
    Love the unit but Music Quality is a must!!!!

So opinions please...
    is it a Touch problem (and can it be fixed) or something else!
  10. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ummm... that's kind of insulting to many people. Get some class, even if you have to buy it...