Sound Quality for the 3G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MrTeddyPicker, Mar 29, 2010.

1. MrTeddyPicker

MrTeddyPicker New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So I just switched from my 8GB 2nd gen to a brand new 32GB 3rd gen yesterday, and I feel like a I have a lot more freedom with the extra space. I don't know much about what hardware's been changed, I didn't read the fine details, but I have a question about sound quality.

Listening to some songs on my new 3G, I noticed that the quality isn't as great as the 2G. I made sure I'm playing the same song, same volume, with the same headphones and the same EQ. I even tried resetting both devices to factory settings and playing back the songs.

Comparing the two devices, my 8GB beats the 32GB hands down in sound quality. The sound on my new device is a bit more muffled and unbalanced. The 8GB provides rich, full sound, with great treble and deep bass, which the new 3G kinda jumbles everything together, not enough bass, not enough treble, too muffled. If I set it to Treble booster, it would lack too much bass, if Bass Booster, not enough treble. The best preset I have right now is at 'Acoustic'.

Now, I'm not sure if the audio chip changed (I heard it wasn't, but correct me if I'm wrong), so I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem or is it just MY device?

Maybe I'm being a bit too picky. Thoughts?

TL;DR version: My 3G sound quality sucks compared to the 2G, imo. Is it a defect or what?
  2. Volcomstone000095

Volcomstone000095 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I have heard this to be a common rumor.
  3. ownerofspam

ownerofspam Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Try re-ripping the songs off your CD's at a higher bitrate, it will take up more room but if you up from 128 to even 256 (I prefer 320)

I've heard that on the 32gb, the lower quality sound even worse, but the high quality sound fantastic.
  4. sk8skanj

sk8skanj New Member

I switched from a Zune HD to the 32gig 3g and noticed a huge drop in sound quality, definitely unbalanced.
  5. EviLCorsaiR

EviLCorsaiR New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Well, the sound coming out of my 32GB 3G is brilliant. Although, I don't have a 2G to compare it to.

It's better than my computer anyhow.

Part of it may be due to my Bose earphones, which are nothing short of epic. Still, I found the sound to be brilliant; whether or not it's the quality of the songs I've got, I don't know.
  6. sk8skanj

sk8skanj New Member

I too have a pair of bose, and the sound quality is definitely not up to par.
  7. MrTeddyPicker

MrTeddyPicker New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Most my songs are at 320 bit rate, some even lossless. I noticed that hip-hop, techno, and anything with naturally deep bass plays fine, sounds superb. But indie rock, casual rock, or heavy metal, the the quality is far worse than the 2G.
  8. eats7

eats7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i noticed this too, but not with headphones, it was with the internal speaker, my first 32 was so bad i returned it. the one i have now isnt as bad but not as good as my old 16 gig 2g. i havent gotten to try with headphones. although i should i have very high end westone um2 in ear monitors.
  9. MrTeddyPicker

MrTeddyPicker New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well my internal speakers, I could care less because I rarely use it as I am always on the go in a city environment, rendering the internal speakers useless.

All iPt internal speakers are crappy, anyway.