Sorry for my noobness :(

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.4 Discussions' started by Ninja12, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Ninja12

Ninja12 New Member

Ive just got a 8GB Ipod touch, i spoke to my friend yesterday and he told me i can "hack" my ipod and unlock installers etc. How is this done and where do i download the files???

Sorry but im new to ipods

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. deezer_47

deezer_47 New Member

do u no what firmware it is

if u dont go into settings and click on about it will say firmware then 1.1.(1,2,3,or 4) id guess it will probably be either 1.1.3 or 1.1.4

depending on what firmware u have u have to go through different methods of jailbreaking have a look round this site its very useful for jailbreaking every firmware
  3. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

Welcome! This forum is a great source of info for all things iPod Touch. To jaibreak and open up a world of possibilities for your new toy, I recommend using iLiberty. Google it and download the version appropriate to your firmware. Do a fresh restore in iTunes, give it a new name, then open iLib and jailbreak. Then scour the forum to learn how to add apps, customize your icons and wallpapers, and much more. You will for sure encounter a bug or two, but there's nothing you can't find an answer for on the board.

We're here to help you, don't be afraid to ask questions. Often questions that come up have probably been asked before, search and you'll find many answers. And if you don't see what you need, post a question on the appropriate forum and you'll receive tons of help!
  4. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    http://ipluspwns.com/?q=node/2

iLiberty

Plug in your iPod and click jailbreak. You will see text on the screen.
    then it will reboot and you will see Installer.app on your home screen.
    From there you download stuff.
  5. Ninja12

Ninja12 New Member

I have 1.1.4 (4A102), i will take a look around but im very new too this lol
  6. Ninja12

Ninja12 New Member

Ok ive got it sorted and installed a load of software, but i cant add things like roms cuz i cant find my ipod on my pc to view the the folders... how can i add roms etc?
  7. Aurongel

Aurongel Banned

Things you should know... PART I

Don't worry, we all had to start somewhere! Just keep your mind open, and be creative in customizing your personal iPod.

here's a detailed breakdown of some terms you should know:​

Springboard- "Springboard" is the term given to your iPod Touch's "desktop" that holds all your applications, simply tap the big home button to on your iPod to get to your springboard.

Brick- "Brick" is a term given to an iPod touch that is frozen and stuck on the Apple logo at bootup. Despite it's almost doomly feel to it, a bricked iPod is nothing to worry about. It is 99% impossible to permanately brick an iPod Touch, all you have to do to "un-brick it, is to "Restore" it

Restore- this command in iTunes will (as it's name implies); restore your ipod to factory defaults. I won't get further into this, as there is another thread, dedicated to this thing.

Firmware- the term, "firmware" is used to explain what version of iPod Touch you have. There are currently 4 main firmwares:
    1.1.1- the first, and most stable firmware, and the easiest to jailbreak. this firmware gives you the option of keyboard skinning, and full iPod skinning, also, most apps support 1.1.1, it's a good firmware for newbies like yourself (no offense

)
    1.1.2- the second firmware released. This firmware basically takes away from 1.1.1, by increasing system security, and removing the ability for keyboard skinning, but most people prefer it over 1.1.1, because the Safari web browser is more stable.
    1.1.3- the succesor to firmware 1.1.2, this firmware adds new security updates, and bug fixes, it also allows you to "drag" the icons on your springboard.
    1.1.4- The latest firmware release. This "satan" firmware is relatively unstable, and it takes work to maintain the "better apps, like Summerboard, Customize, Emulators, and the like.
    1.2.0- This firmware is currently unnavailable to the public. This firmware adds the Appstore, and adds additional bug fixes, etc. It should also be noted, that this firmware gives parental controls to the iPod (block explicit podcasts, naughty Youtube video etc)

Installer- "Installer is an application that appears on your ipod touch, from Installer, you can add "sources" and download applications for your iPod that people all around the globe have made! The best part is, is that they are all free (99.8%)

Summerboard- "Summerboard" is a nifty little application you can download from installer for free. Using this app, you can change your ipod's springboard background, you can change the look of your icons, and even change your dock!
    1 person likes this.
  8. Aurongel

Aurongel Banned

to add roms, you need to connect your iPod to SSH, to do this, install "Services", and "OpenSSH"

(if you find my posts helpful, click the little scales under my avatar)
  9. Ninja12

Ninja12 New Member

this is going to sound very very stupid.. but wot is SSH????

10. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    It stands for Secure Shell (I think) and it lets you add and remove stuff and edit permissions on your iPod manually through wifi