Sorry...Battery

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by SugarBob62, Apr 14, 2009.

1. SugarBob62

SugarBob62 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I hate to ask about batteries after reading about so many battery questions haha.

I know on Apples site it says Music playback time: Up to 36 hours when fully charged and Video playback time: Up to 6 hours when fully charged BUT they don't say anything about applications, do they eat up your battery like crazy or is it just me??

I have yet to put any music on it yet. As in I just got it on Saturday. So right away I just went and got some free apps. I have maybe 10? A few games and some other random things.

I syched it on Saturday, played with it MAYBE an hour on Saturday night, and maybe two hours at the most Sunday. And it kept telling me it was less than 20% so I charged it fully on Monday. And I played with it a bit again yesterday (Monday) and I swear its already at almost 50% again. WTF?!?!

I have been on wi-fi sometimes...and not my own because I'm dumb and can't figure out how to configure my wireless router with my internet provider, so it had been using my neighbors. So does that drain the battery a lot? Having it use a wifi further away, than say one that is in your house? I notice it drains FAST when wifi is on. So now I usually turn it off unless I need to check something real quick or look at apps.

Maybe I should really keep track of how long it lasts for. Is maybe 3-4 hours average or "good" for when playing games and what not? Because that's all I've really done on it. I assume once I get music on it, and the novelty of the apps wear off and I just listen to music mostly it will last longer...hopefully.

Now I'm all paranoid because I didn't realize you only get a limited number of charges hahaha. And is there a way to make it NOT charge itself when you plug into your computer to just synch it? Or does it just do that automatically?
  2. PukkaBen

PukkaBen New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay, one thing I'd do straight away is change the Brightness of the display, put it to the lowest setting. If you can't see it, turn it up a bit at a time and find the dimmest but viewable setting for you, that will help to start with. I always do that as soon as I get an iPod.

I'd imagine using a Wi-Fi Point that is further uses the same battery as one that is closer, it's the Router that will be broascasting the signal, just the iPod picking it up.
    Games I'd imagine use various amounts of battery power, depending on what sort of game/app you are playing.

Charges
    Okay, about this charges business. I had an iPod Touch from launch, and to this day it is still running the same battery time as the day I bought it. One thing to prolonge how long your battery lasts is to charge it only when it dies... then give it a full charge and then use it. I have always been told that, especially with the first charge (may be a bit late for that now).

Hopefully that helps a bit.
  3. eladc

eladc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yes applications do kill your battery, but it depends which.
    If you use 3D applications / games, your battery will ran out faster.
    Applications that are just on your springboard will not waste battery.

Wi-fi doesn't make your iPod's battery ran out faster, maybe by like 3% or something like that but not like applications do.

There is no actual limit of charges, but there is a 300 - 400 cycles, means that you can charge it 300 - 400 times to 100% (if you use half today and charge and then use half tomorrow and charge, it will be called a life cycle).

I do not recommend to leave it connected to the computer 24/7.

I recommend you to jailbreak it and get SBSettings + Processes which you can kill the processes that are running in the background (e.g: Safari, Videos, Songs..).

Hope I answered most of your questions.
  4. SugarBob62

SugarBob62 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah the thing about the letting the battery go down to 0 and then fully charging... I read AFTER I already charged it yesterday haha. So...too late for that. Is that bad I didn't do it like that? I wish they would say that in the quick start guide.
    All it said to do was download iTunes, and plug in the thing to synch it. Which I did...and then just started using it...until it told me about 5 times I had less than 20% battery left, so I figured I'd plug it in and charge it. Oh well...ooops!

Oh ok, I thought since people said wi-fi tends to wear the battery down faster, I thought maybe if it had to search for a further point it would wear it down even faster?
    I also on the first night just put it to "sleep" instead of shutting it down, which I didn't know how to do, until my boyfriend did "accidentally" when he held the button down, I was like what did you do?!?!?!
    So therefore would the battery have gone down overnight too while it was just sleeping instead of being off? Now I just shut it down everytime, is that ok to do?

And as for jailbreaking...I have no idea even what that means, so therefore I won't be doing that haha. Me...who can't even hook up a wireless router...don't think I'd know what I was doing. And from what I read on here people said that decreased their battery, and doesn't it void your warranty?
    I just got the iPod for music and the apps basically, I just wanted to make sure it was somewhat "normal" for the apps to drain the battery so fast. I thought it would last a lot longer than it seems to (but I have no past experiences with iPods...so I don't know what is considered average or normal battery wise). Maybe I just lose track of time playing on it though, and don't realize how much time is really passing.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. eladc

eladc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    While the iPod is in sleep mode, the battery rans out much slower than it isn't, so you don't have to care about it but I recommend you to turn it off every 3 days or something to let it "rest".

Well jailbreak isn't a must but it can help you decrease the battery use a lot

You don't have to let your iPod's battery go down to 0, in fact it is recommended not to let it go down to 0.
    I usually recharge it every 20% - 50%.

Good luck and take care about this thing

6. SugarBob62

SugarBob62 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So is needing to charge it every day or every other day though "normal"? Or does that seem like alot...
    I have nothing to compare it to, so to me that seems like alot. Like my cell phone (nothing fancy, don't text or anything on it, just make calls) I leave it on 24/7 and only charge it like once a week.

So I'm just worried as to why I just got it on Saturday and already had to charge it yesterday. Is that to be expected?
  7. SugarBob62

SugarBob62 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well I've had it like 9 days now and have charged 3 times fully already.
    No idea if that is normal or average? Haven't hardly used it, so I think thats sucky haha but thats just me.

Anyways, from what I've been reading on here. Maybe its because I don't close the apps? When I'm done with a game or what not, I just push the home button. I didn't know you were supposed to hold it in. I read that on here somewhere. How long do you hold it in for the actually CLOSE the app, and not just hide it?

And also, I had been shutting it down all throughout the day when I wasn't using it, thinking that would conserve the battery. However, something I read on here said that actually uses more battery? Because of the power it uses to shut down and start up. So should I just maybe be locking it throughout the day and just shutting it down at night then, instead of all throughout the day?