Soon Wal-Mart will sell iPhone 16GB 3GS for as low as $97

Discussion in 'Latest Tech News and Rumors' started by J-Phone, May 24, 2010.

1. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Walmart has revealed that it will begin selling the 16GB iPhone 3GS for $97 this week, more than $100 off of Apple's $199 suggested retail price.

Starting Tuesday, the lower capacity iPhone 3GS will cost roughly the same amount as Apple's 8GB iPhone 3G. Earlier Monday, a new rumor suggested Apple could be discontinuing the iPhone 3G, which was originally released in 2008.

According to CNNMoney, the new deal from Walmart still requires a two-year contract with carrier AT&T. The U.S. price reduction comes in advance of Memorial Day weekend.

"It is our commitment to always lead on price," said Mehrdad Akbar, senior category director for Walmart.

The move comes less than two weeks before Apple is expected to introduce its next-generation handset, when Chief Executive Steve Jobs delivers the opening keynote for the annual Worldwide Developers Conference on June 7.

The price reduction could be permanent. One analyst said Monday they believe Apple will formally reduce the price of the iPhone 3GS to $99 once the new model is released. Last year, after the iPhone 3GS was released, Apple reduced the price of the 8GB iPhone 3G to $99.

The partnership between Apple and Walmart started in 2005 when the retailer began a pilot program selling Apple's short-lived HP-branded 20GB iPod. Over time, the nation's largest retail chain began carrying Apple's full line of iPods, and in 2008 some of its stores began selling the iPhone 3G. Recently, company officials said they hope to sell the iPad by the end of 2010.

Source:
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/05/24/walmart_to_sell_apples_16gb_iphone_3gs_for_97.html
  2. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    This is perfect for you and your stolen iPhone!
  3. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i still don't get if its gonna be contract free. And also ^ thats one of the main reasons i posted it
  4. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    2 year contract required.. I saw this on ModMyI to...

And I shall quote myself from there.

b*tch.. Just... b*tch.... (>.<)
  5. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    if their selling 3gs for 99 will the prices on ebay and craiglist get reduced?
  6. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Most Likely, but not by much. you would be better off just going with a 2 year contract from AT&T...
  7. macdude2

macdude2 Member

I would wait until the 4g. There have been many rumors of it going to verison or sprint. I would be pissed if I bought an iphone with a 2 year contract with AT & T and then realized I could get it with verison. Just my thoughts.
  8. canardo93

canardo93 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well in 2015 when they're that price and not requiring a 2 year contract i will get my hands on one
  9. sirjonofun

sirjonofun Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    How did this not become front page news. This could save people a lot of money, or get a 3gs when they thought they could only afford a 3g. This site is called multitouchfans now. iPhones need to be given a little more respect ;-)