Soon to purchase iPod, a few questions....

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Wildfeather, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Wildfeather

Wildfeather New Member

Hey y'all,
    I'm looking to buy an ipod touch but have a few questions:

can Skype be installed and used successfully?

can a modem-enabled phone be attached and used to surf?
    (i can currently use my v.cheap ZTE mobile to plug into my ibook and check email etc on the move, is this possible with an ipod?)

Are there PDF reader apps available?

Has anyone used an ipod to do presentations, i.e link up to a projector and play video files?

I realise most folks will say "why not just get an iPhone?"
    Several reasons;
    I break phones with alarming frequency and at the moment can just get another cheap phone from the same network and stick my old simcard in. (the media player has turned out to be truly terrible in the latest replacement although the phone overall is better than the old one, and a third the price.)
    Swapping an iphone sim would no doubt involve much hassle if even possible, not to mention the difficulty i would have getting a contract with the available networks due my dodgy credit history.
    I also like to be able to go "off-grid", detach from the network but still be able to listen to tunes etc. (not a big fan of microwaves. (orgonite anyone?))
    I don't think an iphone would stand up to the rigours of my daily routines for very long. (hope to get a phone by Sonim in the long run, that way i can leave the ipod behind but still be linked in.)

All opinions muchly appreciated.

Peace yo.
  2. iMikkie

iMikkie Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Yes skype works fine, no video support. Voice and text chat only.

You can only connect it to the internet via wifi.

And there are many PDF readers.

I totally understand why your not getting the iPhone.
    The iPod touch is an amazing devices,

thousands of awesome apps and features for never-ending entertainment !

Wish you luck,
    Hope you jailbreak it
    Mikkie ;D
  3. Freshmilk1

Freshmilk1 New Member

Well, in all honesty, whilst I don't know much about iPods (as I'm not too current), I'll try and answer your questions as best I can.

1. Firstly, yes, Skype can easily be installed and used on the iPod Touch/iPhone. There's an app for it in the App Store. Perhaps you ought to look it up in iTunes.

2. So, you're asking if theres anyway to tether a phone to an iPod to use it's GPRS/WAP/3G connection for internet? I sincerly doubt that's possible, to be honest. I've never seen anything like that done before, and I doubt something like that will be made. The only way I know of to get on the internet with iPod touch is through a WiFi connection, however I think there are also some ways to get on the internet with it using a PC or Mac. Though it might sound complicated, if you were to tether your phone to your Mac, and then use that with your iPod, that *might* work. Also, you do realise the iPhone has 3G, which can be used to use the internet on the go? Just something to consider.

3. Yes. If you jailbreak. There are PDF readers avaliable as standalone apps or as part of many file browsers avaliable in Cydia, such as iFile. (Altough PDF files can also be opened in Safari just fine, as far as I know.)

4. Probably. Someone, somewhere has probably tried this before, though I doubt to much success. It can probably be done, but I imagine it'd be fickle and complicated, more hassle than it's worth. To be frank, if this is the only reason you'd like an iPod, maybe you ought to choose a more suitable device.

Hope that helped.
  4. theodore214

theodore214 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Don't have much to add but I'd just like to add a little to what Freshmilk said here:

There is an app developed by Apple that is a book reader and a PDF reader called "iBooks". Though it may not do the best job, it still works and I use it. And you don't have to jailbreak.
  5. Freshmilk1

Freshmilk1 New Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound as if he had to jailbreak, or even suggest that he should. It's completely up to you, dude. There are many advantages, though also many disadvantages. And thanks for adding that, Theo. As I said, I'm not too current. I havn't followed the iPod scene for quite some time.
  6. amandureja

amandureja New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Dude trust me you will NOT be dissapointed with your iPod Touch!!! It is the best device i have had till date, and i NEVER leave the house without it!! It is extremely useful, fun, and just a great media player! I highly recommend it!!! But trust me get the 32GB version. It has better hardware than the 8GB, and obv. has more space, which you will need later on. 64GB is the same hardware as 32, but with double the space.

And when you do buy it, could you please do me a favour? PM me where you bought it, wheather it was used or new, and what firmware it came with? Because I need to get mine replaced, but I am holding off doing that because i can still use it (messed up home button though - still works, but very wiggly), but am waiting for an iOS4 jailbreak before i get it replaced.
  7. himynameisjuan

himynameisjuan Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If you can afford to wait, I say wait until September when Apple is likely to refresh their iPod line...
  8. amandureja

amandureja New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    true. but if you have absolutely no use for an A4 1GHZ processor, [rumored] 3 megapixel camera and [rumored] retina display and [pretty much confirmed] video calls, and will have no use for apps that will be exclusive to the ipod touch 4g, then go ahead and buy a third generation right now.

all that was sarcasm

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Wildfeather

Wildfeather New Member

very grateful for the replies, thanks.

Am planning on getting the 64G version as my music collection is rather large and i can use it to build sets for DJing as i wander about.
    Will probably wait till september (on advice given) to see what the new range has to offer, plan to buy new so i get the full warranty. (maybe hang off till novemebr/december to get the feedback)
    A 1GHZ processor is not far off the ibook i currently lug about in my rucksack, seems an ipod will do pretty much all the stuff i currently do whilst on the move, i can handle not being able to hook up a 3G phone, maybe the new range will let me, in any case, no matter. the pro's certainly outweigh the con's.
    Will probably leave off hacking it until it's out of warranty, just to be safe.
    I do see it as a definite investment, my little ibook G4 is still going strong after 5 years or more and a few upgrades/repairs and some brutal treatment.
    The video presentation side of things isn't vital, can use the trusty ibook for that, would be a handy addition though. (or a built-in projector! Waaaayyyyy cool. One day.....)
    Seems we are approaching a technological singularity, reckon Apple will pave the way for a do-it-all nifty pocket-sized uber-computer.

Many thanks for the replies.

Peace Out.
  10. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Wildfeather, wait for the G4 iPod touch. You'll be glad you did.
    That's only about 2-3 months away.

Also, you can jailbreak your iPod without any worries.
    If anything goes wrong, you can Restore it and everything will go back to normal.

Also, you do not have to jailbreak. I've been using my iPhone for a long time without it being jailbroken; it's just not necessary for me anymore. Multitasking and Folders were pretty much all I jailbroke for (although I do miss MyWi). I strongly suggest staying away from jailbreaking unless you have a reason for it.