Soon to be installing Leopard on my Dell

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by personman1, Apr 29, 2008.

1. personman1

personman1 Banned

Hi. My first question is: How do you burn iso images in leopard? A very helpful user is going to give me the disk image if he can get it. How can he copy his Leopard for PC CD into an ISO so he can send it to me and I can burn it.

My next question: Are there any types of tweaks I would need to get it up and running perfectly on my Dell laptop? I have an Inspiron E1705/9400. Are there any extra drivers I need? Its the pre-Vista one. Its Vista Compatible but came with XP Media Center Edition. It has a 32-Bit Intel Centrino Duo processor in it. I also installed Dell's Bluetooth chip into it. Will I be able to use it?

3rd question: Can I still use Dell MediaDirect? I will be writing Leopard OVER Windows as I messed it up REALLY badly... well my sister got a spreading virus and my Windows will never boot again unless I start all over, so I figured "This is my perfect chance to try again!" (I tried once before but I gave the computer WEEKS to download the ******* and never got it up to even 3% It moved WAY too slowly).

4th: Can I use Boot Camp? Does it work?

5th: Can I use Time Machine? Does it work with Time Capsule?

6th: Can I run Parallels Desktop for Mac?

Last: Can I use an Apple Remote and Front Row with it? Will this work? Will I need any extra drivers? I also have an MCE receiver. Will it work?

This is CURRENTLY all I need to know and will +rep anyone who can answer these questions. I don't know what CD it is. All I know is that its at 10.5.2. I will find out what its called when he signs back on to AIM. I don't want to ask him all of this because he's already doing enough for me by trying to get the ISO and if he can't, he's gonna copy the CD and send it to me. Also, at any time I said CD it probably meant DVD because that's usually what new OS installs are on.
  2. personman1

personman1 Banned

So, does anybody know about this? I also added another question.
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It does not matter if you have Vista or XP whatsoever. As for drivers, you just have to make sure that you have the most compatible drivers. Check here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Scroll down to the HCL (Hardware Compatibility Lists) This applies to every piece of hardware you have on your Laptop. Processor, HDD, Motherboard, BlueTooth etc.

Wifi will rarely work. Centrino is a platform for mobile computers, it has nothing to do with the installation of Mac OS X Leopard.

Dell Media Direct is available to ONLY WINDOWS USERS So you cannot use it on Mac OS X Leopard.

Basic Steps: Reformat, reinstall Windows, Create a new partition, Split the partition with Windows DiskPart, Install Leopard, Dual Boot.

Boot Camp does not work since you already have another partition. I suggest you read up on what Boot Camp is.

You can use Time Machine and Time Capsule because Mac OS X has the drivers for Time Capsule.

You can run Parallels for MAC OS X. But I suggest using VMWare Fusion. Much faster and stable in my opinion.

With all this being said...

THIS IS WHY I GOT A MAC. So I don't have to deal with all that BS. So much easier to dual boot etc. Much smoother to use.

I suggest you ask him to get you Kalyway 10.5.2 AMD Intel. That is the best one that I've ever used. More stable.
  4. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    All I have to add is good luck, and have patience. This is something that takes a little work to get working perfectly.

Definitely make sure you read up on sites like insanelymac.com to gain knowledge about things such as kernel extensions, etc. In most cases, you will have to modify/delete kexts to get your installation to run smoothly. At least I did. Also, make sure you know EXACTLY what steps to take and options to choose during the install. This is VERY important.

Again, good luck. It's definitely worth the effort.
  5. flattop95

flattop95 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    u won't be able to use the front row remote because the remote doesn't have to with the software, it has to do with the computers, the remote only work's with all the current lines of macs
  6. Chucky102

Chucky102 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    yeah, good luck and have plenty patience. It might get frustrating.
  7. soccerpro100cn

soccerpro100cn New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ms. swan hackintosh work fine but no sound... ms. swan like to play music in pretty booty nail salon but no work. ms. swan no reformat, she add partition with xp already installed, yes it looka like a pc but it runna like a mac
  8. personman1

personman1 Banned

I found a site that tells you how to get the Apple Remote working including Front Row on a Hackintosh.
  9. personman1

personman1 Banned

Hi Tes! I already looked at the hardware compatibility list and it seems that all of my laptop's components will work fine without patches. Including Wi-Fi and audio (YAY). I don't really care for Boot Camp or Dual Boot because I have used Parallels at Best Buy and it seems AWESOME! I already know what Boot Camp is and did a LOT of research on it. I was told by another user on MSN that Boot Camp won't work because the bootloader version is like "..Hackintosh.." or something like that, not because I already have 2 partitions. I got Centrino Dup a sticker on my laptop that says I have Intel Centrino Duo so I guessed that was the type of processor but I have that figured out now. Also, I don't have the new MediaDirect. I have the old one and it is stored in a completely seperate hidden partition which won't be gone unless I re-format my Hard Drive. Even though my copy of Windows is broken, MediaDIrect still works for me. I'm still not sure on that. I'm pretty sure the disk you said is the one he has. Good for the Time Machine and Time Capsule. Will it work with an external HDD or no?
  10. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    With Time Machine, I suggest you use something with FireWire. USB is Extremely slow.