Sony Motion Controller and Xbox Natal

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by TDG, Jun 3, 2009.

1. TDG

TDG Active Member

So basically what we have here, is a new way to play for the PS3 and Xbox.

The Sony Motion Controller is a device very similar to a Wii controller, utilizing motion capturing sensors for you to play certain games like you would a Wii. The device looks sort of like a wand with a color changing ball at the peak.

The Xbox Natal is a more advanced technology. It is a full body capturing sensor, with cameras, microphones, and voice recognition. A revolution in gaming; you can not only play games with this device, but you can completely control your Xbox 360 through the microphones and the motion capturing.

These two technologies were announced at the recent Electronic Entertainment Expo, i.e. E3. Sony says that "some experiences need buttons", which is why they are utilizing a controller, unlike the Natal.

More info:

Engadget - Sony Motion Controller
    Engadget - Xbox Natal
    YouTube - Sony Motion Controller
    YouTube - Xbox Natal
  2. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    YAY, lol play boxing with the motion sensors.
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yaaawwwwwwnnnnnnnnnn.

Sony takes from Nintendo's Wii. Microsoft takes from Sony's EyeToy.

This time, E3 barely has anything new or original. Just mainly rehashes.
  4. TDG

TDG Active Member

And some great games. But that's all.
  5. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Rehashes/Sequels.
  6. TDG

TDG Active Member

Yeah, but that doesn't make them boring to me. This one game for the PS3 kind of appealed to me. Mod Racer I think it was? I just like games that are very customizable, e.g. LittleBigPlanet. But I can't wait for MW2, and GH5.
  7. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The Eyetoy is literally just a camera. Nothing special about it. Developers can make software that can utilise it by vaguely tracking motion but Sony weren't the first to do that and at the end of the day it's still just a camera. It sees in 2D.

The Natal device has a 60fps camera to see the world with and an IR 3D camera used to map the environment, viewing the world like this, and giving depth to any motion. Along with that it has built in human tracking algorithms so that it can differentiate between humans, animals, the couch etc and between your Hawaiian T-Shirt and the patterned wallpaper [for example]. The software in it's currently state tracks 48 different moving joints on the human body. It also has its own internal processing system handling an unspecified amount of the heavy lifting behind the 3D mapping and image and speech recognition. It's a thousand times more advanced than the Eyetoy and aside from the fact that they both use camera technology, it's capable of doing completely different things.

Whilst there are still IR tracking cameras on the market, such as this one, there isn't anything remotely as advanced as Natal. Sony's technology is very impressive also, but it is almost literally just an advanced Wiimote with motion+. They're going for the evolution rather than the revolution.

I suppose then that the biggest criticism of Natal is that a lot of games need buttons. You can't do everything with just body motion in a living room. Well in reality the great thing about Natal is that it isn't constricted to a specific controller or even no controller at all; it is entirely open. There is no rule that "You HAVE to play the games with nothing" nor "You HAVE to play the game with this specific remote". It will work with ANYTHING. You could play a game with the 360 controller and still do impressive stuff with the camera/voice software. Anything you can hold can become a controller. The possibilities are endless. I think it's the first time developers are truly free to entirely decide how we interact with their game.

If a game really needs a button and an analogue stick, it would cost a couple of dollars to create and couple a "remote" with a game because the casing would need no accelerometers or gyroscopes inside -- all motion would be captured by the camera, and it would still capture your entire body as well as the buttoned remote. Scene It, for example, is $31 ($39.99 RRP) and that comes with 4 wireless single hand controllers with 5 buttons and one large button which acts as a D-Pad (just an example to show how cheap and easy it is to create a wireless button controller). If a game needs button input and the 360 controller is too cumbersome you can see how easy it would be to allow and create that cheaply.

And lastly, I feel sorry for you as a gamer if something at E3 didn't excite you with an attitude like "it was all rehashes/sequels". That was by far the strongest E3 showing in at least half a decade (new console unveilings aside). It's simply a great time to be a gamer and the choice has never been as varied. Whether you like motion controllers or not.
  8. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    @InaudibleWhipser

Natal is basically Eyetoy, 6 years later, on a Next Gen console. Honestly, Gaming hasn't excited me in a very VERY long time. TF2 was the biggest thing to me honestly. I mean, nowadays, when you look at games out there, they're basically Movies. Like Uncharted. It feels like you're playing within a cutscene and then you move onto an actual cutscene, then back into playing the cutscene. Same with Gears, God of War, etc. You're basically furthering the story. Then they just slap on Multiplayer to make it fun.

I have nothing against the motion controller movement that seems to be moving, but it just doesn't seem.. Innovative. The Wii has done it already. Heck, they can do what Sony is doing easily. All they need to do is flip the Wiimote upside down and addon a little Marker like the PS3's motion controller. The Wii already has a peripheral for Video so people will only need to add that to their already filling repertoire. As for Natal, it's a great concept, really it is. I just don't like how they say that it's completely new and innovative when it actually has been done 6 years ago. It looks nice, but it just feels like a gimmick. Will you actually be using it extensively? I mean, I don't mean to offend, but you don't seem like the person who is into those family type games or motion controlled stuff. You seem more like the mouse+keyboard/controller type who loves shoot-em-ups/fps games. The Xbox 360 and PS3 was mainly for THAT market but now they're moving onto the Wii's territory. Which I feel is kind of late.
  9. qwertyuioas8

qwertyuioas8 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Dude I downloaded the Project Natal video to my Xbox and showed it to my mom. We were astounded! But I'm sure something like that would cost a bajillion dollars ha.

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. Xtreme Touch

Xtreme Touch Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The Wii is going down