Sony iPod Touch Killer?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jpga13, Dec 15, 2008.

1. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    There is a load of digital music players on the market (see my Holiday Guide) that offer consumers quite a bit of choice. However, there is not much competition in the way of touch screen players like the iPod touch. Rumors are flying this weekend that Sony will announce a new Walkman-branded portable media player. With the wild speculation that Palm will actually announce something more than another color Centro and this Sony news CES may actually have some good value for those in the mobile space this year.

The rumored new Sony media player specifications include the following:

* 32GB and 16GB models
    * 3 inch OLED touchscreen display
    * WiFi
    * FM radio
    * Amazon MP3 store support
    * YouTube player
    * Web browser

If the device has a Bluetooth radio with A2DP support that would be another feature that sets it apart from the iPod touch. The iPod touch is being heavily marketed as a gaming machine lately and I am sure the Sony device would never go into this area since they have the PSP. It does look like a very good device though and we’ll be keeping our eye on the news at CES.

Thanks to the Boy Genius Report for the news.
  2. Storm Surge

Storm Surge New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Very possible, Sony is the most known electronics manufacturer in the world, it has the high-end market very much like Apple has. They also have enough $$$ like Microsoft to pose a legitimate threat to Apple.

And from what I've heard, the Amazon MP3 store is 100x better than iTunes.
  3. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

From what i see, that device has some potential against the media player market, but its NOT good enough to beat the iPod touch or iPhone.
  4. x6blues

x6blues New Member

Very true.
    With a few features here and there (along with a sleek, stylish design which Sony has a knack for doing), Sony's product could very well be a major source of competition.

If their a bit lax and make some progress with major companies (partnerships per say) on 3rd party apps, then it will be one hell of a product. The FM Radio is already a big step.

Unlike other iPods, the Touch has a chance of being topped since UI is all touchscreen (Just implementation of OS and all that) and the Touch has some solid features (3rd party apps greatly expand but other companies can easily imitate or act even better). End of the day, it'll force Apple to make some additions in the upcoming generations of the Touch (however long that may be).

Wow, thanks jpga13. You really put to good use my thinking cap...dear lord, I'll need to buy a new one.
    Really, a stunning thread.
    You've blown my mind by these sort of prophetic posts

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. 101gfx

101gfx New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'd wait till we can see some technical specs. Sony will also probably have a hard time stopping the speeding-train-without-brakes that is the AppStore.
  6. jhloa2

jhloa2 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I wonder if we could port the os over to the iPhone/ipod touch?
  7. Sepulveda

Sepulveda New Member

Honestly, I would love to get another mp3 player other then Apple, but Apple is the only one that meets me user compatability needs.

iTunes makes my music organised, while syncing mkaes life easier.

I think if Sony sees some profit in this mp3 player, they would even try to throw in a 3rd party app softwear and look into the idea that it could be a gameing device. The fact that it will have a bluetooth and amazon mp3 store (which is so much better then itunes) is already a great one up.

The only thing keeping me from buy this is the fact that im really hooked on the fact of ipod touche's 3rd part apps and games.

* This could be a sighn that Microsoft might throw its hat into the ring and try to create a mp3 player, or a major handheld gameing device. As if they couldent monopolize enough on its OS.
  8. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

There is one idea that could help them compete with Apple, if they could put it into this rumored device.

* Access to the Playstation Network for video and game downloads, a la the PSP, and if it's able to run PSP-download games.
  9. WPeterson

WPeterson New Member

that's the exciting one. sony is always my favorite brand in any electronics. and we know ipod is just after sony's flagship walkman so-so. i hope the new media player could be on market soon, becoz now i'm a little tired of apple's sales pitch...

william
  10. Fixup

Fixup New Member

Sony does not have good software engineers. iPod is more about its software/OS, especially the Safari with multi touch. Sony has no way to catch up with these things.