Songbird Review, best iTunes alternative out there

Discussion in 'Music, Movies, TV, and Videos' started by Fishy, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Fishy

Fishy Member

Device:
    iPad
    SongBird Review

Songbird is a great alternative to iTunes. It has many more features such as full customization, add ons, a web browser and internal lyric searching. When you first start it up it allows you to download radio components such as Last.fm and SHOUTcast and it downloads your iTunes music straight from iTunes.

Please Register or Log in to view images

--Customization and add ons--

Songbird has done well to allow people to have the best experience possible, with this comes customization. Go into the built in web browser, go to the Songbird site and click on appearance and there you will see many different themes that you can use.

Another important factor when you are trying to have a better experience with a music player is the ability to change things around, for this there are add ons. Some of the better add ons are Lyric Master, Media Flow and iPod Device Support.

There is an add on called Concerts, you click on it in the side panel and you choose your current area and it finds upcoming concerts for you.

--Lyric Master--

Lyric Master is an add on that finds the lyrics to whatever song you are currently playing and it gives you the option to save the lyrics. It pulls lyrics from lyricsplugin or lyricswiki (you can add more.)

--Media Flow--

This is basically Album Flow from the iPod Touch, it definitely need some ironing out because albums with multiple artists show more than one cover in this and it looks crappy when you are missing some artwork (and God help you if you have no artwork for an album with multiple artists >.<.)

--iPod Device Support--

Probably one of the best things here, not really but its hella helpful. YOU CAN SYNC YOUR IPOD WITH THIS! (or Zune, but this is iPod touch fans.) Say you have a friend that likes only soft music while you like headbanging metal, you set up your playlist on Songbird and his on iTunes (making playlists in iTunes is too time consuming) then he syncs with iTunes and you sync with songbird. You still need iTunes for software updates but still, it's great.

--Built in browser--

Here's something great, there is a built in browser where you can download music or videos, it brings up a little popup on the bottom asking if you want to download it and it automatically adds it to your library. It's powered by Mozilla so it is fast, but less fast than Firefox, definitely usable though.

--Overview--

Definitely the best alternative to iTunes I've found so far. It's filled with features to keep you interested and many helpful ones. At the moment it only works so-so with the iPod Touch and iPhone, so be aware of that, but other models are working well.

Get it free at: http://getsongbird.com/
  2. apopagasm

apopagasm Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    what does so-so for ipod touches mean, last time i used it it didn't work at all o_o

or if they've added ipod touch support (iirc they said it was illegal awhile ago) then awesome, i'll start using it again

and another thing to note is that it's still in beta and could very possibly delete your entire library without telling you, say if you were highlighting your whole library and hitting delete to remove it from songbird, but then it goes ahead and deletes it from your whole computer without asking you or using the recycle bin etc

it is great though; skinnable and the browser is really nice, just has a lot of bugs and things
  3. Fishy

Fishy Member

Device:
    iPad
    So-so means it tells you capacity left and nothing else. Or that's what started happening today. Yikes, I <3 my music. D:
  4. therobinsonator

therobinsonator New Member

Ya its asking me about syncing options and thats about it.Its amazing imo. The artist info and lyrics are a really cool addition and having a little icon on the song that tells if they are on tour is great too.8/10 i wish i could sync apps
  5. Tarthen

Tarthen New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It's not in beta anymore - it's up to 1.2.

I love Songbird. It's faster than iTunes, runs on my OS (Linux) and when Firefox crashes and burns horribly I still have a second web browser.

Of course, it is heavy (using 154MB ATM, LOL. After closing the 20 tabs and restarting, it's at 50MB) but light on CPU. Better than 120MB, 12% CPU usage iTunes.
  6. flippy07

flippy07 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    so how do i sync music from songbird to my ipod touch?
  7. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    @OP - Sorry for the mini-bump, but I need to ask - Does songbird hog resources? I'm considering using it on my Netbook when I get it and was wondering if it would run on Netbook specs well enough.
  8. Fishy

Fishy Member

Device:
    iPad
    I suppose it's okay on resources but it's much better for surfing and downloading and immediate playing.

Please Register or Log in to view images