Son wants an iPhone 3G. Quick questions...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RoYaLx, May 18, 2009.

1. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Hello iPtf!
    I am currently using an iPhone 2G/EDGE. My son is about to graduate 9th grade, and he has had a 4.0 GPA all year. I told him I would get him something nice and asked what he would like...iPhone 3G to replace his old-as-crap Motorola V180.
    I do have some concerns though. If I bought one from the Apple store tomorrow, could I unlock it? My son said he would be able to do it, but I am just as smart when it comes to these things and know there is one way, but it would cost a fortune. I am still unsure if it can be though. This is a huge concern because we are on T-Mobile.
    Also, what are the main differences between the 2G/EDGE and the 3G iPhone, because I may also get myself one

Please Register or Log in to view images

-Andrew
  2. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If you get a 3G make SURE it doesnt have the 2.30 baseband!!! Then unlock it and have fun
  3. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    If the new phone has the latest firmware you won't be able to unlock it at this time so be careful!
  4. iamkewl

iamkewl Banned

Do you need another son?

I'm available.

I get good grades and stuff. I also play the trampoline and excel greatly in road pavementing.
  5. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hi
    You can either get it unlocked with a software unlock, if your baseband is one of the first ones. But it will be hard to find that out and your iphone will need to be jailbroken. The other alternative is to get it unlocked by the company who locked it, so i think AT&T, it will involve an unlocking fee, but it will be permanent and hassle free.

The problem with the software unlock (to my understanding) is that it is based on the baseband version, so your son will have to upgrade his firmware is a special way, and it will only be available after the 3rd party developers hack the new firmware. Whereas if he has it unlocked by the company, its easier to upgrade, and hassle free.

The alternative is wait a few months and get him the new iphone that is apparently going to be released.

My personal recommendations are either:-
    - Wait a few months for the latest iphone and get it unlocked by the company who it is locked to. But this will involve a wait of a few months which is a major downside.
    - Get an iphone 3G, and pay the fee to unlock it. This is probably the best option as it is instant, and the unlock is permanent and hassle free.
    -Get iphone 3G and use the software unlock. This carriers risks of getting the wrong baseband, as well as upgrading problems. This method also requires the iphone be jailbroken, which is either good or bad, depending on how you look at it.

I hope this helped

EDIT:
    The main difference between the 2G/EDGE and the 3G are: -
    -3G has GPS and the 2G doesnt
    -3G has much faster Internet speeds
    -3G has native MMS capabilities (when 3.0 is released in a month or so)
  6. Person Dude

Person Dude New Member

all you need to do is buy it, jailbreak it, downgrade the baseband through cydia and then unlock it. i wont go into specifics as there are guides
  7. Brewstermax

Brewstermax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    It is VERY possible that the new iPhone will never be able to be jailbroken OR unlocked, so I wouldn't recommend that for someone on T-Mobile.

Oh yes, can I be your son too?
  8. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    But T-Mobile can unlock it through the iphones IME, but as i said before, it has a fee. And yes, i forgot to mention, if you wait for the new iphone it might not be jailbreakable.

EDIT:
    Im 20, but sure

. Son, I think its time we started talking about paying me rent for living in my house

------------------double post merged------------------
    Your forgetting about the baseband version.
  9. Brewstermax

Brewstermax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Lol. I mean, this Dad is tech smart, knows what he's doing, all that. Everything that I both want and don't want my Dad to be.

10. nikj14

nikj14 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    it all depends, if you buy the iphone and it has the 2.28 baseband you jailbreak and unlock for free, if it has 2.30 you take it to at&t and pay to unlock as 2.28 has been hacked and 2.30 hasnt.